Edison Splitdorf RM Magnetos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edison Splitdorf RM Magnetos

Some time ago I was really lucky to get very useful literature on Splitdorf magnetos and generators- namely several parts lists, service manuals for various types and an owners manual for the RM Magnetos. (see attached picture)

Yesterday evening I finally found time to study these nice pieces of literature a little more in depth, and as always when getting deeper into something, more questions turned up.

Basically what I found out about RMs is:

- RMG-2 Bare, (Variable Jump Spark) Spec.04051 is for Indian Chiefs (CW rotation)
    - RMG-2 Bare, (Variable Jump Spark) Spec.04052 is for Indian Sport Scouts (CCW rotation)
    - RM-4 Bare, (Variable Spark) Spec.03130 is for Indian Fours (CCW rotation)

From that my questions came:

1 What is a "Variable Jump Spark" vs "Variable Spark"? Does this mean the magneto fires on both cylinders at the same time, so also when the spark is not needed?

2 What does the "G" stand for in the magnetos name? Obviously not "Variable Jump Spark", as several other mags that do not have that are called "RMG" as well.

3 Does anybody have an idea, how to find out the production year and maybe month of a magneto by the serial number?

4 I found two types of tags on the RMs - one smaller tag that says "EDISON-SPLITDORF CORPORATION" in the top line and one higher tag that says "TYPE RM - Edison Magneto - Made in U.S.A." on top and then the same "EDISON-SPLITDORF CORPORATION" in the next line - Does anyone have exact data on when they changed the tags and if there were anyother motorcycle relevant RMs with differen tags?
    from my books I cound only find out the following indication for production years:
    Service Bulletin No.44-61 from Nov. 2nd 1944 says that oil tubes were eliminated from CD and RM magnetos, so I would say my Chief magneto with the smaller tag is before that date and the other non motorcylce one is after Nov 44.
    5Are there any other external fetures that indicate the production time/period of the RM?

And last but not least I cound not find any information on the Harley WR/WLDR Splitdorf RM front mounted magnetos- as far as I know they were:

- RMG-2 Bare, (Variable Jump Spark) Spec.04054 (CCW rotation)

but I am not certain about that.

Would be great to hear some of your ideas about these magnetos too!

All the best from Europe,
    gsottl
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gsottl; 06-24-2012, 12:54 AM.

Edison Splitdorf Sparks Bulletin from Nov 2nd 1944
    Attached Files

Comment

my Chief Magneto - is it correct for a 1941 BM Chief?

see the oil screw, so I would say it is before Nov 1944 - this one has the small tag I mentioned above
      Attached Files

Comment

This a 1 cylinder RM - non motorcycle, but it shows the other tag and has no oil tubes, so after Nov 2 1944?
        Attached Files

Comment

at least some of the Harley WR RM Magnetos seem to have another version of the tag saying "Edison, TYPE RM MAGNETO, Thomas A Edison....." with no mentioning of SPLITDORF and no oiling holes, so I asume this is AFTER Nov 2nd 1944 and made at a time after the Splitdorf brand was given up or seperated from Edison, so newer than the "TYPE RM - Edison Magneto - Made in U.S.A. // EDISON-SPLITDORF CORPORATION"?

When did this happen?

attached one picture taken from Ericīs webiste:

http://www.beautyofspeed.com/gallery...dorf/index.htm
          Attached Files

Comment

Lots of good Edison info thanks. Those manuals you have look like the Holy Grale of magnetos to me. Any chance of shareing or selling copies of them. I've been in search of Splitdorf information for the last year. I bought the one on ebay but it's more of a parts manual. I've been putting together a '36 Sport Scout and the mag really makes this bike. The bike is done but she's a not too easy to start!
            Thanks,
            Morry

Comment

Hi Boneyard,

I can scan some pages that are useful for you (and for other people who are interested) but do not have the time to scan it all or make copies of all pages.

Please contact me by PM and give me your email so I can send the information. I can do the scans you need some time next week.

Do you have a Splitdorf CD magneto on your bike?

Best wishes from Europe,
              gsottl

Comment

gsotti,
                Yes I have almost finished a '36 Sport Scout w/RM mag. Runs great but quite hard starting. Been through all the basics. My next move is to find a rewound coil to try. I'd like to see the procedure for charging this type of mag, and what the charger looks like. I've found info on charging fixed magnets but not the rotating magnet style like the RM.
                Thanks,
                Morry

Comment

Gsotti

Have just sent you a PM regarding RM information here is a picture of the Magneto, hope you can help me.

Indian Mag 02.JPG

Comment

Working...
                  X