Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHK and Sporty gear selector

Hi

Working on my '56 KHK. The gear shifter cam assembly is worn with excessive tolerances. I happen to have a new '79-up assembly (the late style with the plunger pawls replaced with the long lever pawls) which fits fine and on the bench shifts through the gears with correct clearances between the shifter clutches.

However, there are differences in the grooves in the cam plate between the detente positions. It looks like this is to reduce free movement in the shifter fork, keeping the shifter fork more precisely in position.

Has anyone tried this retro-fit and can say it all works sweet?

Thanks, John

I can't remember, does the 56 use a ball bearing detent? The later XL uses a plunger.

Kerry
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Thanks for your interest Kerry, the '56 KHK uses a plunger with a V-tip which matches the profile of the cam plate.

John

Comment

I can now answer my own question. I've done about 1800 miles on the KHK in the last 6 months and it couldn't shift slicker or better. So the later assembly is good for retro fitting. Photo attached.khk lr (1).jpg

Comment

Nice bike, but hate the horn...
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

But it is a blaster! Maybe find the correct horn one day, but they honk!

Comment

Working...
            X