solid lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solid lifters

I recently purchased a 1968 flh with solid lifters,how do I fint TDC to adjust?

Bradley, there are a couple of ways to do a valve adjustment on a shovlehead. Here's what I do. Remove the spark plugs, so engine can be rotated easily with the kick starter. Raise the push rod tubes so you can see the lifter action. Rotate the engine with the kick starter arm until the rear intake lifter is at the top of its travel, you may now adjust the front intake. Now rotate the engine with the kick starter arm until the rear exhaust lifter is at the top of its travel, now adjust the front exhaust. Same method for the rear intake and exhaust. Push rods must spin freely with light finger pressure after adjustment, but have zero lash.
    For bikes with no kicker, raise the rear wheel, place transmission in high gear and rotate engine by turning the rear wheel by hand.
    This works well for solids, if you find that you have hyd. lifters, follow the instructions in your shop manual.
    Good luck, Fred.
    Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

Thanks Fred.

Comment

Bradley!

Please note also, that if your solid replacements include aluminum pushrods,
        you will be compelled to adjust them much tighter than with steel pushrods.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
        X