oil sump return line routing question for '46 and earlier oil pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil sump return line routing question for '46 and earlier oil pumps

I'm not certain which way the loop on the line from sump valve to oil pump is supposed to go on my '46 Chief pump.... loop to the front or loop to the rear? I've looked at many photos and "by gawd" you can find that line installed both ways! I can make it fit either way, but if I put the loop forward it's in the way of the cam case breather tube routing, and if I put the loop rearwards it interferes with the exhaust header. I will say that most examples I've seen have the loop going forwards, and if I go that route then does the cam case breather tube go underneath the oil sump line?

Thanks!
    (p.s. I'd post a photo or two but my computer crashed and I'm reconstructing the files)
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

G,day the oil line on my 44 use to run from the pump outlet towards the front then curve back to sump pickup,but i swapped to run the other way because it sat to close to the exhaust,i was thinking of cooling more than it over a very hot exhaust,hope this helps Rob.

Comment

Thanks Rob.

Near as I can tell, the oil pumps used from 1939 to 1946 (with the circular boss on the upper left of the pump face) are mostly installed with the sump line looping towards the front, but not always... as Rob has changed his for example. The 1947 oil pumps I've seen are often (but of course, not always) installed with the loop towards the rear.

I took a leap and installed the loop towards the front, and with the cam case breather running under it. I've got no idea if that's original or not!

Comment

Harry ,on a different note,i am looking at buying a bike near Albany do they have titles in that state? the oil pump elbow needs to be rotated towards the back ,leave it lose until the oil line and elbow line up same with the sump elbow,Rob.

Comment

Gosh, Rob.... I dunno about New York titles! I guess I'd suggest a little web-surf or a separate posting on this site or the CAIMAG site to get that info. You've likely found that answers to Indian questions on this site don't come overnight, but mostly when they do arrive they're good information.

Comment

Working...
          X