Tillotson carb issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tillotson carb issue

I have a 67 fl with the original Tilloston carb. I am also new to this bike and carb system. While riding 2 days ago, the bike started to die. It felt like low fuel so I switch the reserve on and the bike kept running. But I checked the tank and there was plenty of gas. The next day, after about 1 hour of riding, it happened again. This time it stopped running. When I got off the bike I noticed gas leaking out from where the air filter cover is. When I turned to gas valve off the gas stopped leaking out. After 30 minutes it stated up again only to die again 10 minutes later. Now of course I am 1 mile from home but it is all up hill. I removed the air filter cover and saw gas coming out from inside the carb. Again when I shut off the gas line it stopped leaking out. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    bob

I am also new to this carb, but did just rebuild one to install on my 69FL. There is no float bowl and the way I understand, the diaphragm, inlet lever and spring allow fuel in as needed. Maybe your spring or diaphragm is not working properly. Shop bulletin #547 states a new inlet lever was installed because of 'high speed leaning out caused by vibration and needle sticking caused by dirt in carburetor'. The new lever 'now has a forked end which engages a groove in the new inlet needle stem. This locks the lever to the needle providing diaphragm control of the needle movement in both directions'. From the little research I did I think the newer Tillotsons worked better than the older. The above change took place after engine #67FLH1448. Also carb updated for FL will be HD-2AC or HD-2C. Orig HD update kit # 27588-66 for upgrading HD-2A, HD-2AB, HD-2B. Good luck, let me know results so I can learn too. Bob AMCA#6738.
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

There is a check ball in that carb that freezes up that most people do not know about that is probably causing your problems, look in the manual to see the location, if you shake the carb it can be heard rattling if its free
      Tim

Comment

Working...
      X