Sidecar class in Mass, June 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidecar class in Mass, June 10

I used to have a Dnepr with sidecar. But because the two of us didn't agree on which direction to go (I liked going straight... it had a knack for turning left unexpectedly) it was sold a few years ago. Ironically, the new owner had it for a few months and love it... until he hit a Bear. The irony of a communist bike that turns left on its own and hit a bear.

Anyhoo... I still never got over my urge to learn to ride a sidecar rig properly. I am pretty sure that my problems with the Dnepr were entirely my lack of experience and knowledge, not some fundamental flaw in sidecar physics or Russo-Cossack engineering.

So, I signed up for a sidecar class in Acton Ma. on Sunday June 20, 2012. Going to see if I can learn to do this right. Because I would still love to have a sidecar bike at some point.

If anyone is interested in class details, drop me a PM or an e-mail. I'll send you info on the class. It would be great to have some fellow vintage bike folks there.

FYI, I am not affiliated with the class organizers or 'selling' anything. Just figured there may be some folks out there like me who would like to learn... and sidecar classes are rather few and far-between, at least in my neck of the woods.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Cheers,

Sirhr

Sir, I was browsing through here and came across your post don't know why I didn't see this but... how did you make out with the class?
    You are correct they are few and far between here,I took one in Wisconsin in 1995
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Class was fantastic and all the secrets of sidecar riding were revealed to me... By the end of the class I was having no trouble 'flying' the sidecar, doing hard turns, emergency maneuvers, etc. The biggest part of it was understanding the physics and once I had that, the riding came in an instant. Like a lightbulb being turned on!

I am definitely going to have a sidecar on something... soon!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Glad to hear it Sirhr, sidecars are loads of fun although mine is fairly new I couldn't see myself with out one.
        Sidecar classes are getting harder to find would this be the one around Seekonk Mass.?

I co-hosted a national sidecar rally in July of 2010 in Vermont at the Champlain valley expo in 2010. I mentioned it here we did get a guy with I believe it was a late 1940's black Indian and sidecar aside from a couple of 50's bmw/steib combo's that was it for the older bikes.
        Chuck
        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

I never knew that sidecar classes existed... What bike/sidecar setup did you learn to ride at the Sidecar Classes?
          Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
            I never knew that sidecar classes existed... What bike/sidecar setup did you learn to ride at the Sidecar Classes?
            Jim, The one that I took in Wisconsin, each person used their own sidecar rig but there are some classes that supply 500cc cycles with velorex sidecars. I am not sure but the one in mass. that Sirhr went to may be one of them that has sidecar rigs for training?

There is also classes for HPS rigs for those that like to go above and beyond the speed limit. There is a New England racing sidecar club that has a fair amount of members in Vermont and New Hampshire, I can't remember what week in July but there is also a bunch of HPS rigs that meet to "tame the Dragon" each year
            Chuck
            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

We used little Velorexes on 250 CC, I think, Yamahas. Peppy, but not powerhouses. A couple of folks had trikes (Mass classes are 'three wheels' and that can mean sidecars or trikes.) And a couple of folks brought their own bikes. One Dnepr and a gold wing.

I was looking at a sidecar rig for my EL, but after taking the class, I think I am going to put a modern Liberty sidecar on my 'new old' bike, a 2006 Springer classic that has solo seat, canvas windshield, etc. The 96 inch engine, Six Speed and electric start make for a nice package w. a sidecar.

I've not yet been to the VT meet, but I will get over there soon!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Pete Larsen at Liberty sidecars produces some real sharp sidecars it should complemenent your "new/old" bike real well
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

David Hough has done some sidecar classes in the past. He is the author of "Proficient Motorcycling" and a long time sidecarist.
                  Robbie
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

This is the bike that I plan to put a Liberty sidecar on. Taken in 2008 on Rt. 66 when I rode it across US.
                    I call it my 'new old' bike because it's done up to look like a vintage highway patrol bike. I used a bunch of vintage parts, including (now) a Knucklehead muffler and black pipes. Because some days, there is just no substitute for electric start and fuel injection...

First texas truck.jpg

I think it just screams out for a sidehack!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

looking for sidecar class to i live in pa. have 65 h/d with sidecar,learned the tank shifter would like some tips on riding.to bad i missed the class in june if there is another class. thanks sidecar man.

Comment

Hi:

I think that was June 2 years ago... but it was a great class!

I am not sure I have the contact info any more, but it may be in the OP. If not, drop me a PM and I'll dig through some old e-mails and see if I can find the contact info.

Cheers and sounds like you have a great bike!

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by sidecar man View Post
                          looking for sidecar class to i live in pa. have 65 h/d with sidecar,learned the tank shifter would like some tips on riding.to bad i missed the class in june if there is another class. thanks sidecar man.
                          There was a group in central PA that was holding sidecar classes, Look up CMS Motorsports in Middleburg on RT. 522 it's a little south of Lewisburg they also build custom sidecars and ask for David Keese
                          Chuck
                          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

thanks chuck i will check out cms motorsporps.

Comment

Hello,
                              Do you know, if a 1929-30 Harley package side car can be retro-fitted to fit a 1940's 50's Harley? 951-830-0393 John

Comment

Working...
                              X