FLH Shovelhead Motor Case Oil Fittings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLH Shovelhead Motor Case Oil Fittings

I'm replacing a '77 FLH oil pump and have an issue with the crankcase fittings located directly behind the pump. I want to make sure the oil lines weren't mixed up by the previous owners. They never seemed quite right to me. So please, what are these three fittings and where do the lines run.

No 1- uppermost fitting threaded-in immediately beside the oil pump body, which has been removed.

No 2- beneath it, and further back, larger threads, mounted into a bossed area on the crankcase. oil hose fitting angled downward on the end. the hose attached here was only 6 inches long and just hung down toward the ground and puffed alot of air out.

No 3- smaller oil nipple branches off at right angle near the end of above No 2. it's the same size as the front chain case and rear chain oiler nipples on the oil pump cover. it had no hose attached. but what belongs here.

the oil tank, crankcase, front chain housing VENT lines and their 3-way Tee are connected OK. these fittings are not for any of those hoses.

the setup should be wet primary, just as in OEM. thanks!!!
    Attached Files

The straight one is the oil return from the bottom rear of the primary. It is connected to the crankcase breather passage to create suction and return the oil. The lower one is the crankcase breather and is open to the atmosphere. It originally was routed to the rear of the transmission to discharge mist onto the rear chain. The small line tees into the chain oiler line to use some of the exhaust pressure to push the oil into the primary fitting.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

awesome, thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X