cut out relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cut out relay

can anyone help me out? i'm going nuts trying to find where the power draw from my battery is coming from...34'VLD, couple days ago bike over-reved as i ran towards it, stopped running. bike fired back up but when i turn ignition off,ammeter still shows draw..fried headlamp bulb..replaced..still drawing. i'm running a solid state relay with the nice 'delco-remy' cover. do these things fry as well?? should it have power running through it at all times? checked all wires under dash, everything looks good...HELP!!!

Baker, William, R......
    AMCA# 15164......"50" FL, "34" VLD....

Might be worth taking off the dash cover to make sure the switch contacts are not touching in the off position.

Comment

Steve, I did that as well. everything seem normal. power@one post on ignition side, power@one post on lighting side...can you shed any light on the relay ?

Baker, William, R......

Comment

Sounds like you may have fried the electronic cutout, which is nothing more than a diode, an electrical check valve if you will that allows current to flow out of the generator into the battery,only when generator voltage is higher than the battery. To test the cutout, use a volt meter, connect the negative lead to the battery - terminal. Touch the + meter probe to the output terminal of the cutout, it should read around 6.5 volts if your battery is cahrged up. Next, move the + meter probe to the generator output terminaal of the cutout. It should read 0 volts. If it reads anything above 0 volts, it is cooked and will need to be replaced.

Contact me off line if you're interested in information on a solid state voltage regulator that will fit inside your cutout housing. It will replace the damaged diode with a new one but also give full current and voltage regulation to the generator. Installation will require converting your generator to 2 brush, eliminating the 3rd brush system entirely. Saves lots of problems if you plan to ride much!

Gene Harper email me at : orders@splitdorfreg.com

Comment

manpan- sounds like simply might be relay contact staying closed from overrevving or otherwise- take the relay cover off and if closed open with matchbook cover. then see if amp stops showing a draw. If it does stop then start bike and shut off and check amp and relay to make sure not staying shut. If stays shut use some emory very lightly to clean the contacts and then blow off residue with air. then try again. if still stick replace contacts or relay. Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by parkerize View Post
            manpan- sounds like simply might be relay contact staying closed from overrevving or otherwise- take the relay cover off and if closed open with matchbook cover. then see if amp stops showing a draw. If it does stop then start bike and shut off and check amp and relay to make sure not staying shut. If stays shut use some emory very lightly to clean the contacts and then blow off residue with air. then try again. if still stick replace contacts or relay. Anthony
            ....hard to do this with a solid-state relay....
            Andy Wander

Comment

Parkerize, thanks, but I'm running one of the 'solid state' cut outs. thank you for your input...tested my relay, looks like it fried with the over rev....

Baker, William, R......

Comment

oops missed that part sorry!

Comment

Working...
                X