Oil leaking into right gas tank...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leaking into right gas tank...

Just got a 1948 Indian that is unrestored. Oil is leaking from the front (oil) half into the rear (gasoline) part. Any ideas on how to fix it?

I would kind of like to save the tanks as all the sheet metal on the bike is original.

Some here may disagree but I had 101 scout tanks that were sealed with Por 15 on both sides, gas and oil. After prepping properly they are holding up well.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Howdy sir,

Oil compartments generally do one of two things: separate at the lower connection to the bottom of the tank towards the rear corner and occassional the inside wall parallel to the tank inner wall gets a small split. The adventerous (I was lucky) can solder a split with it laying on its side.

The bottom seam can be sealed but requires super attentive prep work as oil will have contaminated any voids over a long period of time so I'd order Pour15's kit for this purpose. I'd clean both gas and oil sides initially but it's your call as to whether you want to coat fuel side only. I did fuel side and then just brushed the offending seam on the oil tank side rather than coating the whole compartment. In either case, With the fuel tank I put very light air pressure on it to drive the por15 into the void.

http://www.por15.com/HD-CYCLE-TANK-R...ctinfo/HDCTRK/

These leaks occur with age and brittle nature of this tank assembly technique, but, if you want a little insurance after the repair, get the tank mounting rubber washers and a set of 3 tank bolts from Bob Courbain with the steel version of a lock nut that will permit you to re-attach your tanks without tightening down the fasteners too much.
      Last edited by PRG; 02-15-2012, 09:49 AM.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
        Howdy sir,
        if you want a little insurance after the repair, get the tank mounting rubber washers and a set of 3 tank bolts from Bob Courbain with the steel version of a lock nut that will permit you to re-attach your tanks without tightening down the fasteners too much.
        Same thing on mine, I tried but couldn't get soldering to work, so I applied some fuel proof sealant only to the seams on both gas side and oil side. We shall see!

By the way, the insides of my tanks had been sealed but had never seen fuel or oil and 20+ years later the sealant was peeling off in large flakes. So I stripped out the old sealant (a real pain) and then leak tested it finding only the leak between oil and gas compartments.

Anyway, I like Peter's suggestion of rubber mounts but I'm not familiar with Bob Courbain, can you pass along some contact info?

Thanks!peeling.jpg
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Howdy Harry,

Did a light Kreeming 16 years ago on the 48, never pealed at all, but got a bit long in the tooth after umpteen heat cycles in the oil tank and cracked at the seams ref'd in my post. Time for por15.

Bob, an absolutely delightful gent I've been dealing with periodically for maybe 20 years possibly(?), making bolts and kits before others entered the frey. Has a 46 as your sig indicates and I have one as well. Just emailed he and Micheal Breeding about the appearance of an overly rare 46 in my driveway needing much love after purchase off the Flea (is there any other kind of machine on the Flea?), cdf704x. Bob's email is cdf6333@att.net and his site http://www.oldstylebolts.com/. The rubber washers I originally got from Jim Sutter eons ago as originally fitted to my 48. Make them for myself for my other Indians. His bolts are great for lightly fastening your original tanks down. Not so critical on a stock cammed 74ci but if you've got a schunk 80 with compression sending harmonics through your frame (and backside), a little isolation doesn't hurt (pun intended).
          Last edited by PRG; 02-15-2012, 08:06 PM.
          Cheerio,
          Peter

Comment

Thanks, all for the assistance. I am more familiar with "the other brand" in this era, but am really excited to ride the Chief. It hadn't run since 1986. It does now.

Comment

Thanks, all, for the advice. I have the tank off and am going to attempt the POR15 sealant I think.

Comment

Howdy sir,

Couple of things that will give that POR15 the best chance to do its job, might want to throw a handfull of 1 inch roofing nails in after the first stripping step to agitate with subsequent steps to ensure rust and residue is removed. If you have a small pressure washer, say 2000 psi/2GPM following the degrease step rotate the wand around in both tanks while full of water - I do mine with the nails rattling around but others may not be so adventorous.

And for anyone having to remove an old lining as I did with Kreem, their stripper turns a lot of it into gum still clinging to the tank in spots you can't get to. Following the strip step I filled the oil and gas compartments with lacquer thinner and let stand for a day with occasional rotation before a thorough flush.
                Cheerio,
                Peter

Comment

Working...
                X