Help ID this bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ID this bike.

My buddy Lee Schneider sent me this scan of his dad on his bike. They are celebrating his 80th birthday and
    are wondering what the year and model of the the bike is. Can someone help me out. Thanks

Dick
    Attached Files

Looks like a '37 BTSV with later emblems. Very hard to tell.

Comment

It looks like a sidevalve big twin. It has square footboards, pre-'47 dash cover, and '47-'50 tank emblems. The front fender almost looks like a glide fender, or 1950+ 45" fender. Very personalized motorcycle.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Looking at it some more; I think it's a springer fender with lot's of add-ons. It has 18" rims so I'm drifting closer to 46WL's opinion, but I don't know about '37.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Has 18-inch wheels, to, which probably makes it pre-1940. Few riders preferred 18-inch wheels after the 16-inch wheels came out in 1940. Definitely a Flathead Big Twin (clutch throwout and kicker side cover, drive chain on the bike's left). Square (rectangular) footboards were pre-40, but aluminum heads were '40-on, so were probably an owner add-on. Because of all the changes, the exact year is hard to pin down, but it does look 1937-to-39 "U" model 74 or 80 cubic inch Big Twin.
          Gerry Lyons #607
          http://www.37ul.com/
          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Thanks for the help. I was confused becasue it seemed to have the features of different bikes. Now we know why.
            Thanks guys!

It seems that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree as his son Lee cannot hlep himself and has to change or
            add something to every bike he has ever owned. Only now they are called farkels.(sp)

Dick

Comment

The reason I said '37, is that it looks like a '37 dash, and it also looks like the ride control knob is on the right side of the bike.

Comment

Working...
              X