38 sport scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38 sport scout

I am new to the Indian world..bought a 38 sport scout project and was wondering if any body could tell me what years the engine parts cross over to and if any chief parts are the same. Project is about 85% there but missing a lot of small parts,

Also if any one knows where I can get solid copper head gaskets for a 1960 chang jiang...{R71 BMW} 750 motor .

Thanks Martin

meh1966@live.ca

Originally posted by meh1966@live.ca View Post
    I am new to the Indian world..bought a 38 sport scout project and was wondering if any body could tell me what years the engine parts cross over to and if any chief parts are the same. Project is about 85% there but missing a lot of small parts,

Also if any one knows where I can get solid copper head gaskets for a 1960 chang jiang...{R71 BMW} 750 motor .
    ------

38 and 39 cylinders changed from the 35-6-7 y-cylinders (there were t-manifold cylinders in 34-5-6) with exhaust ports receiving external pipes with nipple inside. In 1940 the cylinders were expanded for broader finning, as were the heads. The one-piece oil pump/distributor drive were new in 38. ... If anybody gigs you for not putting the t-lines into the valve covers tell 'em they're standing too close. Can't say I recommend mounting the coil under the left tank either. But I love those nickel-plated cylinders.
    If you have a straight down tube to the rear engine hanger you cannot use 40-later cylinders without notching the fins to fit around that tube. Otherwise, cyls and pumps, heads, primaries, were commonly swapped and up-graded from the earliest to ... yesterday!
    -------phil---

Thanks Martin

meh1966@live.ca
    silly webmaster doesn't like my message, not enough characters, see if this helps

Comment

Most of your Sport Scout parts are interchangable to a degree. Not too many Chief parts will work however. What parts are you talking; engine, or chassis? or both?
      RF.

Comment

You might want to check with guys like Jerry Greer's Engineering or Ziggy's Motorworks (just to mention a few of the guys who handle sport scout parts. Also may know of a few who may have parts you are looking for but would need a list first.
        20scout

Comment

Engine and trany parts specificaly I have all chassis parts required...curious on the cross over of the 741 parts to the sport scout.

Thanks Martin

Comment

Engine is missing all the thrust washers/nuts etc..have all the main bits ....have Greer's catalouge and hoping to go to Rhinebeck this year.

Thanks Martin

Comment

Engine and tranny parts are readily available, new is by far better than used and Greer's should have everything you need. 741's and 640 do share some parts, compare the part numbers in Greer's catalog between the two and that should tell you. Been very pleased with Todd at Greer's as he is knowledgeable in the scouts.
              20scout

Comment

Originally posted by meh1966@live.ca View Post
                Engine is missing all the thrust washers/nuts etc..have all the main bits ....have Greer's catalouge and hoping to go to Rhinebeck this year.

Thanks Martin
                Sounds like you have a cakewalk. I'm jealous.
                Got a trans output gear? (or are those made currently?)
                My Iron Redskin says that Indian produced 1940+ parts in larger-than-usual volumes as part of presumed war contracting, but earlier parts might have to be n.o.s. If you can get previously mentioned experts to talk (I'm no expert, just enjoy the discussion) you'll learn more.

Comment

Working...
                X