Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping a BSA S27 for the Motorcycle Cannonball

Hey BSA folks,

I have entered the Cannonball with my 1927 500cc S27. I am newish to these older bikes but have lots of experience with BSAs from the 1950s. I am interested in talking with people who have experience and/or ideas for prepping the bike for the ride. I have lots of thoughts but budget and time are always tempering the possibilities. I am rider number 42 so check out the www.motorcyclecannonball.com page to see my profile in the riders section. This should be fun, difficult, educational, expensive, etc.... My current plan is to have a spare motor and transmission plus things like carbs, mags, chains, spare cables and levers and whatever else I can think of. Any parts sources that any of you all know of is most helpful as few suppliers are active with these old bikes and many are not on the web. I am also interested in logging the process if anyone cares. So at this moment the countdown begins for the start of the Cannonball on the 7th of September. Something like 9 months and 6 days till the start. There is a long way to go..... Jim
    Attached Files

Originally posted by mijmoto View Post
    Hey BSA folks,

I have entered the Cannonball with my 1927 500cc S27. I am newish to these older bikes but have lots of experience with BSAs from the 1950s. I am interested in talking with people who have experience and/or ideas for prepping the bike for the ride. I have lots of thoughts but budget and time are always tempering the possibilities. I am rider number 42 so check out the www.motorcyclecannonball.com page to see my profile in the riders section. This should be fun, difficult, educational, expensive, etc.... My current plan is to have a spare motor and transmission plus things like carbs, mags, chains, spare cables and levers and whatever else I can think of. Any parts sources that any of you all know of is most helpful as few suppliers are active with these old bikes and many are not on the web. I am also interested in logging the process if anyone cares. So at this moment the countdown begins for the start of the Cannonball on the 7th of September. Something like 9 months and 6 days till the start. There is a long way to go..... Jim
    Hi and congrats. What an adventure you are in for. I did the Cannonball on my 1915 and are preparing a 1926 Harley (and myself) to do it again in September. Look forward to meeting and riding with you.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Hey Buzz, thanks for the welcome. I have been thinking about prepping self and wonder what that means. I prep for vintage motocross by working out and making sure that I am aerobically fit. The fitness really helps at the end of a moto when a 300 pound race bike feels more like 400 pounds. I am a little concerned about comfort over 15 days of riding as well. I have ridden cross country on modern BMWs many times but 5 days is way different than 15 and really don't know what to expect from vibration and constant wind in the face. Any recommendations from the land of the experienced? Jim

Comment

hi jim, thats a fine looking machine. i hope you do document your build, then we can all learn a little more about your bike.
        www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

What will you do for lights? Lonnie has recommended putting on electric lights and a brake light (that last item is something I have to think about as well for my entry, #52).
          --Darryl Richman
          Follow my 2012 Cannonball Blog!
          http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Comment

Thanks for the kind words about the bike. I have a lot to learn about what lurks inside and am looking forward to learning the bike. I have learned with my race bikes that you must have a relationship with the bike and come to an understanding. Probably sounds stupid but for me it is true. Any thoughts on a good way to document the build? Jim

Comment

Hey Darryl,

I have been thinking of lights as well. Wondering if the headlight needs to be capable of actually lighting the way or just for visibility sake. I have asked the guys at Baja Designs about their lighting kits and the possibility of using them in a total loss mode. I don't think that the brake/taillight is much of a problem and I will probably use an LED based system in as unobtrusive way as possible. For the headlight I have thought about the bicycle guys and searched around for something suitable that I could "hide" it in the acetylene headlight housing. What are your thoughts? Good luck on your preparations! Jim

Comment

Hi Darryl,

Get the magneto checked and re built, On these BSA's the gas tank was made down to a price. I have restored 3 of them! So be sure it holds gas and the oil is not mixing with the fuel. New tires and tubes will also help, are they beaded edge (clincher) tyres?

I've done many long trips on vintage bikes and never had too many problems.
                Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

Comment

Hi Tim,

Had plans to rebuild the mag and have a spare plus spare points. Not sure on the rim type but both wheels have been stove enameled spokes nipples and all. I was planning on replacing the rims, spokes, bearings and tires. The tank seems to be sound but I am concerned about it. I would like to talk to you about your experiences with these tanks to understand what might need to be done. I have a lot to learn. Jim

Comment

if you can, take a spare fuel tank, as I recall there were lots of leaking tanks at last years event. Nice bike too!
                    Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the compliment on the bike and the advice on the tank. I will see if I can find a spare or make one if necessary. Anyone have thoughts on where to find a tank? Jim

Comment

I've had my Bosch mag/gen rebuilt and I've run my headlight and taillight all day without problem, so, on an electical basis, my bike seems to be ready to *start* the Cannonball. I've got a spare unit that I'm finishing up a restoration of, so I hope that will be sufficient to carry me *through* the ride.

I just need to add a brake light, but BMW's contracting driveshaft rear brake moves in the wrong direction for most of the brake like switches out there. I will have to get a bit more serious about building something for it.

I have also been considering buying a wearable bicycle rider's light, with red LEDs facing back and white forward, to get more attention out on the road. I need to go visit a bicycle shop anyway to see about a a bicycle computer (so that I get an MPH speedometer and odometer, so I don't have to convert from KPH all the time during the ride).

Originally posted by mijmoto View Post
                        Hey Darryl,

I have been thinking of lights as well. Wondering if the headlight needs to be capable of actually lighting the way or just for visibility sake. I have asked the guys at Baja Designs about their lighting kits and the possibility of using them in a total loss mode. I don't think that the brake/taillight is much of a problem and I will probably use an LED based system in as unobtrusive way as possible. For the headlight I have thought about the bicycle guys and searched around for something suitable that I could "hide" it in the acetylene headlight housing. What are your thoughts? Good luck on your preparations! Jim
                        --Darryl Richman

Comment

Hi Darryl,

Sounds like you are under control for lights compared to my acetylene setup. I have found some good stuff at Baja Designs and they may have the switch that you need. On another topic, I might like to talk to you one day about my 1960 R26 with sidecar. I would like some discussion on to upgrade or not to upgrade the electrical system. Looking forward to meeting you in September. Jim

Comment

This past weekend I bought an LED bicycle taillight that has a steady and a strobe mode. It's much brighter than my little 8 watt stocker. I also bought a bicycle computer, so I can read speed and distance in miles rather than kilometers; I think that may be important for the run.

I don't know too much about the BMW singles, but the charging system ought to be adequate for the stock system. The mechanical voltage regulator works ok, but the new electronic ones are better at treating your battery nicely, though they go poof! if you hook them up backwards. The place to go for BMW single information is this Yahoo Group:
                            http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmw-mono-club
                            --Darryl Richman

Comment

Hi Darryl,

Appreciate the BMW thoughts, thanks. I will figure out a light that I can put in the headlight shell that runs on a battery. You may have a point on the speedo. Had thought about it but might just use GPS. Wonder if that is OK. Perhaps if I use an acetylene GPS that would pass muster! Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X