Factory Engine Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Engine Number

I have been looking at several bikes and am trying to understand what is an original engine stamp or if it was restamped. Looking at some scout pictures I have taken in the past, the letters appear to be 1/4" but numbers are 3/16" starting around 1928 through the mid 30s. Was this convention used on the 4s and the chiefs and would you happen to know what year this started? I guess it does not really matter but supprized that the numbers were a different size.

You bring up a good point. It seems that Harley numbers get a great deal of discussion as to what are good numbers, font, serrifs, etc. but Indian never gets a second thought other than a blatant restamp. I do know that on my Chief, Four and sons Scout there are differences. I seems to be whatever they had availible in their toolbox was used to stamp them. LOL. Some seem to be nicely lined up, evenly stamped and others are half stamped and all over the place. It would be nice to see some pics of example of good numbers throughout the years for reference.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
    X