New project to me: 1925 74" Big Chief, need parts and referrals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project to me: 1925 74" Big Chief, need parts and referrals

A couple months ago I was fortunate enough to finally close the deal on a '25 Chief I heard about a little over a year ago. It was in a dirt floored shed since the 40s, it's never been repainted or crashed and there is still a little bit of paint on it under the extensive surface rust! Apparently it broke a piston ring way back when and the previous owner took the engine out and the cylinders off and never got any further... So, I am looking for
    #1) old paint / plating parts
    need 20 x 3.85 40 hole dimpled rims, top engine steady, complete exhaust, front fender, misc engine bits that were not included in the coffee can of small parts (missing some valve train stuff, nuts and bolts, I will get a more complete list of what is missing), headlight, horn, tool box, battery box lid, right handle bar is broken off at the cross brace ( the shed roof collapsed and broke it off). Also need gas cap with primer and oil cap for tank.

I have the bare seat pan but would trade out or buy an old original or old recover to better match the bike ( a nice brand new restored saddle might look odd on the bike)

#2) referrals for engine / trans rebuilding ( I am in eastern Washington State but can ship the powerplant if needed).

I plan to keep it cosmetically unrestored where possible but do a complete mechanical overhaul.

I have a few bits for trade, mostly smalls, some British, some American. Thanks for any and all help!
    Mike Carver
    AMCA #3349

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

This was my 1924 Big Chief. Personally, I think they look better restored as they were a beautiful motorcycle. Mine was not much different than yours, but there were major problems with the gas tank, and all of the usual hard to find stuff was missing. This bike was just behind the Henderson Deluxe as my favorite bike to ride. No matter which direction you take on getting it back together, you should make it road worthy, as the Big Chief is a great rider.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Good score Mike!!! So, did you get to pull it out of the shed? Do you know any old time machinists? I'm thinking if you do, with a little guidance you could probably do that powerplant yourself.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Hi

Might be able to help you with parts, I have a friend who just bought a first year big Chief, he wants me to build the motor.

He will have some restored tinware to trade as he is planning a board track replica bike.

My '28 101 was in a similar state, but I managed to preserve the paint and restore the rest of the cycle to compliment it.
          Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

Comment

Indiantim,
            thanks for the offer to help, I will consider any parts available. Your 101 looks great, what products or techniques did you use on the painted and plated parts to save / renew / preserve the original finish?
            Thanks.

Corey,
            I did not get to pull it out of the shed myself unfortunately. I have a good friend who is an experienced engine man but with old car engines mostly and some British bikes. My main concern is doing it correctly as I would prefer not to "learn" by making all the mistakes. Are there any guides or manuals for blueprinting Indian engines of this era?
            -MC
            Mike Carver
            AMCA #3349

Comment

MC,

Nice find! I really like the early Chiefs, I have a 24 with sidecar restored and it is a great runner. My 31 is now 100% complete awaiting restoration. The only thing I have extra is a 28 powerplant complete, but that won't help you. I would reccomend Jim Wall here in Colorado if you can wait a year or so as his shop is dismantled and he is moving it all 303-887-8996. You definetly need to talk with Kent Thompson in New Hampshire, 603-585-6933. He is a great source for early chief parts, good chance he will have everything you need. Good Luck!

Gene Harper

Comment

Mike,

It sounds like you've got some good leads on this thread. This will be an interesting progression. It would be nice if you could keep us posted on this project.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Mike,

To preserve what original finish I had, I used aerosol maroon paint to "mist" in where evident repairs had been made. I had to dismantle the tank and completely rebuild it. Here I tried to add patina by throwing sand at the fresh paint! then rubbing it down a little. I keep rust at bay with a product called ACF50. Now I have a motorcycle that when it picks up a few knocks and grazes just gives it more character. To make any nickel plating age I used dull nickel and a quick acid wipe.

My lead on the big Chief parts we may have to trade will be in the New Year when my pal gets the machine which is currently in transit.

We will need some help on motor parts, I have heard that later Chief parts can be adapted to fit. Don't know any details. Hope someone can enlighten us on here!
                  Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

Comment

I can recommand Kent Thompson as well! He is a great guy and knows enormously much about Indians 1920-35.

Below one picture of Kent and me at his shop and two more pictures of some of his 1920ies goodies!

IMG_1147.jpgIMG_1159.jpgIMG_1148.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X