Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 four oil filter help

Hi all,

Any sources for an oil filter kit that does not entail drilling the crank cases? I seem to remember some one did a kit that used the timing cover

best wishes
    Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

Check with T-Bone on this or caimag.com forum. He is presently doing a 36 with the oil filter set-up you are speaking of. If all else fails pm me and I'll send his number. Call 9-5pm US central time Mon-Fri.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I made an oil filter assembly for my 440 in 1978 with the oil lines coming out the timing cover because I could not bring myself to drilling the cases. I remember Dick Davies taking pictures and measurements of it. He later came out with a kit. I don't know if his kits are still available. Tom Wilcock AMCA #381

Comment

I also have Dick's son Roy's phone if you need it.
        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Howdy Tim,

Pan details of the type you speak of depicted below. This is the final version once made by Jeff Hiatt which had right angle fittings on the timing cover for easier routing of the filter hoses to the side. Mark Hill bought out all of his equipment and may still sell these kits.

You see more shots of its install on my 441 here.

Cheerio,
          Peter
          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

fiter kit

I think I still one kit ready to use. You can email me at retiredsfcroy@yahoo.com

Comment

What a great club, thanks guys for all your help
              Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

Comment

Howdy Chaps,

There was a discussion on this topic at caimag awhile back, for those not having seen it or familiar with these kits, here's a brief photo overview. The first gen of this type had simple copper tubing portruding through the timing cover (photo 3) which required a bit of a larger radius bend for the hoses to the filter to keep them from collapsing. I made copper lines to rectify this. But, the big drawback was one could not remove their timing cover with the motor in the frame. Photo 4 shows the side view. Once the filter was mounted it could be swung up out of the way right up against the cases. Photo 2 shows the revised timing cover fitting arrangement on gen II kits, not only with more secure mountings to the cover but using right angle fittings (photo 1) for a tidier hose routing shown in photo 5.

These kits came with a very small filter (100 series in a Mobil 1). Any accumulation of carbon in the oil leads to restriction and they start to whine. I'd suggest upgrading to the longer 110 as fitted to late model Mazda RX-7's.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by PRG; 12-14-2011, 09:49 AM.
                Cheerio,
                Peter

Comment

36 four oil filter help

At last I found the picture of the internal plumbing for the oil filter I installed on my 440. The timing cover can be removed without disturbing it. I made the filter head to accept a small GM spin on oil filter. The assembly is attached to the center 4 top screws for the timing cover and when installed it clears the bottom frame cross tube by 3/4 inch, just enough to spin off the filter without disturbing anything. Tom Wilcock #381ScannedImage-2.jpg

Comment

I am also interested in fitting a remote oil filter to my 29 Four. I understand R Robinson ended up with Jeff Hiatts filter produceing equiptment but as of yet, is not makeing any. I wonder if Tom could look up the part number of the GM filter or what engine GM used it on, year and model to help the parts guy look it up....Joe
                    Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Joe: The Fram number of the filter I use is PH3387A. It was used on many GM models with V6 and V8 engines from the early 80's to mid 90's and possibly right to the present. It does not have a built in bypass. I put a bypass circuit in the filter head I made. I believe the Chrysler filter of similar size has a bypass arrangement built in. Tom AMCA#381

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
                        Howdy Chaps,

There was a discussion on this topic at caimag awhile back, for those not having seen it or familiar with these kits, here's a brief photo overview. The first gen of this type had simple copper tubing portruding through the timing cover (photo 3) which required a bit of a larger radius bend for the hoses to the filter to keep them from collapsing. I made copper lines to rectify this. But, the big drawback was one could not remove their timing cover with the motor in the frame. Photo 4 shows the side view. Once the filter was mounted it could be swung up out of the way right up against the cases. Photo 2 shows the revised timing cover fitting arrangement on gen II kits, not only with more secure mountings to the cover but using right angle fittings (photo 1) for a tidier hose routing shown in photo 5.

These kits came with a very small filter (100 series in a Mobil 1). Any accumulation of carbon in the oil leads to restriction and they start to whine. I'd suggest upgrading to the longer 110 as fitted to late model Mazda RX-7's.
                        Hello Peter:- Where did you get that filter assembly, Mazda RX-7 parts dealership? Looks like a logo on it, Ellatt or what brand? Any numbers for it so we could possibly aquire one of them critters? Thanks...Joe
                        Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Howdy Joe,

That's Jeff Hiatt's logo engraved on the assembly along with in/out labels for the hoses, this kit which from above posts I gather may now be available from Robbie(?). I'll wrestle my 441 out and take some better pics of it mounted as it is a very sanitary setup.

When changing that Amsoil filter after fitment, I went to what's worked well with my 440 which is the Mobil 1 filter sourced from Autozone for which the RX 7 is just one application. When Googling the 100 series, I found out about the slightly longer 110 on the Rx-7 forum, thus the reference made to that.
                          Cheerio,
                          Peter

Comment

I remember a Swiss 4our owner utilizing a completely hidden, full flow filter on his 4ours. Peter R. used a modern Japanese bike cartridge inside the engine, accesable via the front timing cover. There was NO external evidence of his conversion what so ever, yet it offered complete, full flow filtration.
                            I've serviced my timing gears (I have adjustable spindles on my gears for timing), and it really isn't that big a deal to access the inside via the tin cover.
                            Just a thought, RF.

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
                              Howdy Joe,

That's Jeff Hiatt's logo engraved on the assembly along with in/out labels for the hoses, this kit which from above posts I gather may now be available from Robbie(?). I'll wrestle my 441 out and take some better pics of it mounted as it is a very sanitary setup.

When changing that Amsoil filter after fitment, I went to what's worked well with my 440 which is the Mobil 1 filter sourced from Autozone for which the RX 7 is just one application. When Googling the 100 series, I found out about the slightly longer 110 on the Rx-7 forum, thus the reference made to that.
                              Thanks Peter. I should have figured that one, but some logos are pretty hard to savy. Hiatt of course. I messaged Robbie last summer and he has not at that time set up to do filters. hopefully in the near future but its tough to invest in something like that if sales dont exheed losses. Pics and details of your set up would be very apreciated. Saveing all the info I can find in a file, for the day I tear into the remote filter installation. My engine almost self destructed with aluminum debris when I blew a piston last summer. I had/have Michael Breedings magnetic drain plugs everywhere as well as a large mechanics magnet in the filter screen, useless for picking up aluminum tho. Just cant win...........Joe
                              Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Working...
                              X