1912 Harley-Davidson, Original Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1912 Harley-Davidson, Original Owner

This is a copy of a 1912 photo that I just recently acquired of my 1912 Harley-Davidson, single, battery ignition, with the original owner on board.

...................Nolan1912H-D2.jpg

I'll bet there's a good story here. Please tell us about it Talbot-2.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I'll echo Eric's request.

Isn't that something though..... An original picture taken of your machine, verging on 100 years ago. Remarkable...
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
        I'll echo Eric's request.

Isn't that something though..... An original picture taken of your machine, verging on 100 years ago. Remarkable...

I purchased the 1912 H-D cycle from the original owner in 1967, got it running and rode it in several local antique vehicle functions and parades through about 1978. I stored it until after retiring a few years ago and have since replaced the original tires and had the saddles redone. I plan to take it to a meet next year to earn the AMCA "Century Award". About a year ago I made contact with one of the decendants of the original owner who just recently emailed me the photo of his ancestor (the original owner) on the cycle. I was thrilled to say the least. The photo attached is a photo of the cycle as it is now. Since the photo was taken, I have finally reinstalled the disk on the front wheel that runs the speedometer. The original H-D tandem came with the original purchase too. I feel very lucky that I did not have the money to restore it back in the 1960's and 1970's and feel very fortunate to have been the steward of the cycle for the past forty-four (44) years.

My H-D is identical to the one that was sold at the Hartung auction... only eleven (11) numbers difference in their motor serial numbers.

IMG_1380.jpg

C.O. The 1908 Indian came from the same person. The original owner of the H-D was the original owner of the Indian too. The original owner, a real gentleman, only asked that I keep the cycles and not resell them.
        Last edited by talbot-2; 12-05-2011, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Man, oh, man!!! I'm pretty happy that you didn't have the cash to restore those machines too!!! They are fine motorcycles for sure. I'd bet the original owner would have been happy to know that he passed along his machines to somebody that has been such a good caretaker. It's good to hear that you are showing them at meets as well and not hiding them away behind glass!!!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

This has the makings of an interesting thread... Bikes Then and Now...

I posted pictures of my '31 DL here last year when I was making a new exhaust...

dl 6.jpg

I bought that bike from its second owner, who had the bike since 1933. He had ridden it 'into the ground' then put away the carcass. Starting in about 1980 when he retired, he did an amazing home restoration job, putting it back to gorgeous condition. Not over-restored, and everything sympathetically rebuild and redone. No repro parts at all... because they didn't exist in 1980.

He rode it again for years after that -- when I got it, both tires were worn almost smooth. Both he and his son 'interviewed' me for some time to make sure I would not flip the bike and that I would keep it on the road. Had there been a Pewter Run this year, I would have run it at that event. Of note, I was the only person that responded to the ad who had an AMCA card, and that really helped in his eyes. He was a real gentleman, as was his son who I am still occasionally in touch with.

DL 1.jpg

With the bike, came all its lifetime of paperwork, copies of the Enthusiast from when he first bought it, photos, etc. The whole package. But getting my picture taken with the long-time owner, and getting to talk with the bike's long-time custodian was just priceless.

I'll dig up one of the old pictures of the bike.

The machine runs great, has a new exhaust and I am going to try and teach my better half Jacque to ride it next year... so we can both go out on vintage bikes.

Cheers

Sirhr

Comment

This is a circa 1974 photo of the 1912 H-D with our youngest son, now 47, on the tandem.

scan0002.jpg

This is a photo of the 1912 H-D in a 1976 Bicentennial parade.

scan0003.jpg

This is another photo of the 1912 H-D in a 1976 Bicentennial parade.

scan0001.jpg
              Last edited by talbot-2; 12-05-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
                This has the makings of an interesting thread... Bikes Then and Now...
                Sirhr! That's another great story for sure. I'm wondering if you had the time to start a "Then and Now" thread if others would follow. It is definitely a good idea.

Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post
                This is a circa 1974 photo of the 1912 H-D with our youngest son, now 47, on the tandem.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7661[/ATTACH]

This is a photo of the 1912 H-D in a 1976 Bicentennial parade.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7662[/ATTACH]

This is another photo of the 1912 H-D in a 1976 Bicentennial parade.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7660[/ATTACH]
                Thanks very much for sharing your photos talbot-2. I'm digging the seventies shots. Your period outfit is quite fitting!!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                X