Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member with a 1913 Flying Merkel

Hello,

I have a 1913 Flying Merkel and need all the advice and help I can get. I have been a AMCA Member since 1995 but have just recently started to use the resources found here. My goal is to get it running (as is) by it's 100 year anniversary.

-Mark
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rmmccon; 11-19-2011, 05:36 PM.

WoW looks great I have a flying merkel hand booklet from 1910 gives a little insight on running them a good source is Jurassic racing he's on this site and the ring leader for the cannon ball run they have a complete resto/original shop up in Sturgis South Dakota

Comment

WOW, Beautiful machine! If you ever want to sell it please let me know.

Comment

thanks for showing the pics,you must be very proud to be a caretaker of a fine looking machine like that!
        and welcome to the site.

Comment

That Merkel is stunning. You really need to tell us more about it and how you found it.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Mark! Eric said it, that machine is stunning!!! I'm really glad to hear you want to revive it "as is". It would be a shame to restore such a fine example.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

It has been in my family all this time. My Great Uncle and his brother had several Flying Merkel's. Here are some pics of them and other family members posing on an earlier year model.
              Attached Files

Comment

Your bike is a famiy heirloom to boot???!!! That is pretty outstanding. Thanks for posting the photos from back in the day!!!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by rmmccon View Post
                  It has been in my family all this time. My Great Uncle and his brother had several Flying Merkel's. Here are some pics of them and other family members posing on an earlier year model.

Good God, what a great situation. Too bad they didn't keep all "several" for you to inherit. Welcome to the board.
                  Mike Carver
                  AMCA #3349

Comment

That the machine survived and stayed in one family - remarkable! very cool machine and photo's, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Welcome Mark. Thanks also for sharing. Very nice indeed. Good for you!
                      AMCA #765

Comment

Shaking my head in disbelief!!!
                        Well welcome and good luck getting it going.
                        AMCA #6151

Comment

Love it when a family history comes with a great old classic like this one. Treasure it and enjoy the ride.
                          Butch

Comment

G,day Mark great peace of history ,i just read yesterday the article on Joseph Schantin crossing America on a Flying Merkel in May 1912 ,its in the AMCA mag ,have a read if you have not already ,very cool ,Rob

Comment

I'll bet that'd be a hoot to ride. A really great old iron there!!

Who in the family did that belong to and which image is it in?

Comment

Working...
                              X