Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Judging to Take Place at Davenport 2012!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Judging to Take Place at Davenport 2012!!!

Has everyone heard this? Check their site and schedule to see that bikes are "checked in for display" and there is no Sunday activities/judging.

I was told this at the 2011 meet and there was a message in the program.
    I was also told why. Before I offer any opinion - what do you think of this?

Regardless of my feelings about the reasons given, for me it is what I worked toward all year - getting my bikes perfected for the judging.

I am a single father, who can't travel from home for more than the day, so this ends the scoring and advancement of my bikes for now, and takes the steam out of my passion to work the year to get that higher score. Of course I will still work on them, but I have corrected everything I know, and each year, as I learned more from the process, they got better and better.

As a chapter, it is their prerogative to do what they want, true. Thoughts?
    To you it may be "what is the big deal?" but to me it is a terrible disappointment.

Edited to add:
    I wanted to add that I would never betray who told me the reasons or what was specifically told to me.
    The opinion that I may offer would only be my feelings about the decision to not have judging of bikes, not the information I was told or specific people who I talked to.
    Last edited by jupiter2; 11-17-2011, 06:39 PM.
    Jim
    AMCA #466

It's not the end of the world, just take your bike to a different national meet.
    Dave

Comment

The Omaha Chapters National winter meet is February 24 & 25. Judging is on Saturday the 25th at 9:00 AM and its only 300 miles from Davenport. Bring the kids along.
      Scott

Comment

Please read the part of my original post where I explain that I can't travel.

The real core of why I am posting about this isn't about me. It is about the future of our club and our hobby and the future of our bikes.

To me it IS a big deal.
        If a classic old stainless diner closed down, one could say - "It's no big deal, go to a different diner"
        If a vintage movie theater closed, one could say, "It's no big deal, go to a different theater"
        If they decided not to hold the world series anymore, one could say, "It's no big deal, go to a different sport"
        If they banned Thanksgiving, one could say, "It's no big deal, celebrate on a different day"

Those thing are not what is important to me, but what is is this hobby, antique motorcycles, and this club.
        I personally do not feel that it is "no big deal".

I feel we all have a responsibility to the club, and to the future.
        Especially those that are stewards of AMCA Chapters.

To me it is not only a big deal, it is a tragedy.

I also hope that I am not the only one who feels that way.
        Jim
        AMCA #466

Comment

Originally posted by jupiter2 View Post
          It is about the future of our club and our hobby and the future of our bikes.
          To me it is not only a big deal, it is a tragedy.
          I also hope that I am not the only one who feels that way.
          Sorry, but if you think that the future of The Love of Antique Motorcycles and Antique Motorcycling is based on someone Else's opinion of what you ride or build you and I are in this for Very Different reasons. There is plenty of literature out there so you can make your Bike as Correct as possible. However many of us do not care what other people, or The Club, think about what we build or how we build it. We Just Love Old Motorcycles. The people who take their bikes to the meets, all Spiffy and detailed, to get a $15 trophy (that they feel will make the bike more monetarily valuable) are missing the boat. In my opinion. Bring your Flathead on one of our F.O.G. Runs and I'll bet it will be The Most Fun you ever had with it!
          http://laughingindian.com/
          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
          A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

I do not care a one bit about someone else's opinion of what I ride or build. Our judging system is built to be objective based on what is correct. If people's opinions get in there, then that is a flaw that needs to be fixed.
            I also never even had a thought of my bikes being judged adding to their value - until you mentioned it. Is that what you think? I could give a rats bum what their value is. My flathead is worth a million dollars to me and it has NEVER been judged. I have ridden it thousands of miles, though.
            The bikes I have judged are not spiffy and detailed. They are original condition.

I am sorry if I take this club more seriously than others.
            Then again - no, I do not apologize for that.

If you had a bad experience with the judging, then that is a shame. It sure sounds like you did. It seems you also miss the point (no pun intended) of the judging and the judging system that is in place.
            It isn't to get "a $15 trophy" or to increase the value of your bike.
            It is to (hopefully) advance all of our bikes (the ones that we choose to go this route with) more and more toward factory correct - so that when they are in the hands of the next caretakers of them, that history will continue to survive due to our efforts.

Sure, I have bikes that are riders, and I ride (and have for 40 or so years), but I am discussing the judging, not trying to get into a debate about riding vs judging. They are not mutually exclusive.

And, no - I am pretty sure that coming to the F.O.G. run won't be the most fun I have had with my flathead in the 30 years that I have owned and ridden it.
            But thanks for the invitation.
            Last edited by jupiter2; 11-18-2011, 08:16 AM.
            Jim
            AMCA #466

Comment

Just to be clear - in summary.

1. I think the future and love of antique motorcycles is based on someone else's opinion of what I ride.
              - FALSE

2. There is plenty of literature out there to make your bike as correct as possible.
              - FALSE
              The experts in a particular manufacturer or model sometimes are the ONLY source of information regarding very specific items, like hardware, for example. Indians and Harleys? Pretty well documented. But literature that will get you factory correct on many bikes is not as easy to find.

3. Many don't care what the club or other people think about their motorcycles, they just love old motorcycles.
              - Has nothing to do with my point. I am sure I love old motorcycles as much as any member that there ever has been. (maybe not more, but as much) and again - what other people think of what you ride has nothing to do with judging.

4. The people who take their bikes to the meets, all Spiffy and detailed, to get a $15 trophy (that they feel will make the bike more monetarily valuable) are missing the boat.
              - I agree with you on this! That is not the mission of our judging system. (I certainly know you weren't implying that this applied to me)
              Jim
              AMCA #466

Comment

Jim
                You’re a single Father & can only be gone a day at a time. You have a lot more important things to worry about besides that old motorcycle.
                Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate what you are saying.
                  Jim
                  AMCA #466

Comment

Jim,Have you ever judged?

Comment

I have not - why do you ask?

I myself had a bad experience with AMCA judging at Oley back in the 80's and it turned me off to the process for 20 years, but that was before the current system was put into place. About 5 years ago I took a chance and tried again because of the current system and philosophy, and have had very good experiences since.

I thought about trying to enter the judging ranks, but I take it very seriously and don't feel that I have the kind of expertise it should require.
                      Last edited by jupiter2; 11-18-2011, 09:26 AM.
                      Jim
                      AMCA #466

Comment

Originally posted by jupiter2 View Post
                        I have not - why do you ask?

I myself had a bad experience with AMCA judging at Oley back in the 80's and it turned me off to the process for 20 years, but that was before the current system was put into place. About 5 years ago I took a chance and tried again because of the current system and philosophy, and have had very good experiences since.

I thought about trying to enter the judging ranks, but I take it very seriously and don't feel that I have the kind of expertise it should require.
                        At your next AMCA meet join in as an apprentice judge. I am sure you will fall into the system easily.
                        Last edited by Chris Haynes; 11-18-2011, 04:25 PM.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                          At your next AMCA meet join in as an apprentice judge. I am sure you will fall into they system easily.
                          Thanks, Chris.
                          I may do that, if judging returns to Davenport some day.
                          Jim
                          AMCA #466

Comment

I guess the whole issue of Davenport not being a National meet this year is caused by greed. I am not sure who's greed but money seems to be the bottom line. At any rate I hope that Davenport remains a great place to find stuff.
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                              I guess the whole issue of Davenport not being a National meet this year is caused by greed. I am not sure who's greed but money seems to be the bottom line. At any rate I hope that Davenport remains a great place to find stuff.
                              Chris - I can't speak to that, but I also do hope it remains a great place to find stuff.
                              Jim
                              AMCA #466

Comment

Working...
                              X