Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to pull the back engine plates to remove engine

IMAG0077.jpgIMAG0078.jpgIMAG0076.jpg

Well, I'm back at it. I got the clutch tool 23T269 at your advice and it made dismantling the clutch preety easy, Thanks. I got me a manual, but it doesn't say anything about taking the back plates off. Basically it say the engine should drop and come out the right side. I guess I can take the plates off, but I thought I would check first. Any Ideas 1940 Sport Scout. Thanks.

If I remember right it will drop out, but it's tight.Did mine twenty two years ago. I would pop off the right back plate too, then nothing left to interfer with it coming off. Mine was assembled as a unit - plates on. My Scout was completely apart, so I just took the top frame tube section and set it down over my engine trans and started bolting things together from there. Watch out don't damage those head fins, they look pretty good. Good luck, have fun.

Comment

Hi Rick, I see from your other post you got the engine out. You don't even need to take the clutch or primary off to get the engine out on the late sport scouts. When you unbolt the frame, you lift it about an inch or so, rock the frame to the left, and the engine to the right and it will come right apart. When you put it back together, you put the frame back on to your completely assembled power plant (engine + primary + tranny as a unit). One thing I do notice is that your front frame is not a '40 frame. It might be a '38-'39 with the dash mount and straight rear tube. The reason I mention this is the later sport scouts added a little spacer swaged onto the motor plates to make what I just described possible. The earlier frames had a wider forging on lower frame tube, and you could NOT disassemble or reassemble the bike without separating the power plant components. The tranny shifter "snout" captured an early frame forging. So if your left rear motor plate has the spacer on it, your stuff is late-style and can be left in tact for assembly and reassembly. I think the '38-'39 frame has the narrower forging, but I'm going from memory. I think Indian caught on to this problem quickly and made the change in the first couple of years.

Comment

Here is a rear motor plate with spacer. It is a 741 plate, but the spacer idea is the same.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X