X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 chief magnetomodel rt. side case

I am trying to figure out if 47 magneto chief
    cam side case is like a 46 case with wavey casting under tappet guides,as
    opposed to the typical 47 case with straight casting under tappets.
    I ask because my 47 mag model project cdg29xx,which seemms to have the original
    engine cases, came with 46 style rt.case.Originally I thought it must have been
    replaced and have been looking for correct rt. case.However I have yet to see a
    typical 47 case machined for mag bushings,except one that was an early 48.
    This morning I saw this "original" magneto chief on ebay with 46 style rt.
    case.
    Any comments , info or pics of other original 47 mag models appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tom
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1947-...item2a152b45a6

I'm curious, too! I've gone through Jerry Hatfield's book(s) again and it's not really clear when the change was made. Here's two Chiefs that were both described as 1947's with the different cases (the one with the "wavy" casting is the BM one you referenced that is currently on EBay).

Anyone?CDG8463 BM.jpg47 Chief 2.jpg
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Harry.The pic you posted on rt. is the typical 47 battery ignition.I have yet to see a mag model with the flat casting.
      I am suprised this is not an easy questions for the Judges and experts,with the 47 probably being the most produced postwar chief.
      I think I will make the bold,like I know what I am talking about statement that "1947 chief mag models used 46 style cases,with the NEW one year only 47 style cases only used
      on the much more common battery ignition models."
      Maybe then someone will prove me wrong.
      Thanks
      Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
        I have a 1947 Chief, that I have had for about 40 years. The motor number is CDG28XX M. The right case has got the straight casting under tappets. When I got it, it had already been converted to a distributor. It sill has the 28 tooth kicker gear and 11 tooth kicker arm set up for a magneto motor. I have never had the cam cover off the engine to see if the bushings for the two magneto gears are in the cover and right case. I'm betting they are, since the cases doen't look like they have ever been apart and the magneto seal bushing is still in the right case. looks like they solderd a freeze plug or something in it when they did the switch to a distributor.
        Regards, Kent

Comment

Here is a picture of my 1947 Chief, motor number is CDG28XX M.jpgmotor number is CDG28XX M

Comment

Originally posted by 49panhead View Post
            Here is a picture of my 1947 Chief, [ATTACH=CONFIG]10363[/ATTACH]motor number is CDG28XX M

Hey Kent,Thanks for the photo and info.
            Tom

Comment

Working...
            X