A Shovelhead Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Shovelhead Story

OK I'm going to catch hell from some people after bad mouthing Shovelheads for years but here goes..........

I bought a 1979 Low Rider back in 1980 as a birthday present to myself (no one would buy me one). I think the price was $4400. I rode it for about 10 years and then turned it over to the wife who rode it another 10 years. I went back riding my '65 pan as a daily rider. About 1997 I installed a chrome duel disc wide glide and a pair of scorpion billet wheels and a fancy paint job that the wife designed. We finally sold the bike in 2000 for $9200 so she could upgrade to a police Road King (Queen).

Fast forward up to last week when I'm scanning the local shopper paper as always and see a 1979 FXS for sale for $4000. How many 1979 Low Riders could there be around here? So I call the guy and have him send some pics to my phone. Sure enough it's the same bike! So off I go last Friday (a day before my birthday, 31 years later!) to check it out. It's got some problems such as a broken drive belt (which I put on it about 20 years ago) and a bad starter solenoid but other wise in decent shape. It's also been painted and the rear fender and seat were replaced. So I do the right thing and shoot the guy a low ball figure thinking what the hell he might take it. But we dicker for a while and settle on $3000.

So my friends it looks like I'm back in the Shovelhead business, I will be looking for parts to get it up to par and then of course will need parts to keep it running! Thanks.

First picture is me in 1981 (before gray hair).
    Second pic is Rose in 1997.
    Third pis is in 2000 when it was sold.
    Forth pic is yesterday.

Whooops! Having trouble with some of the old pictures that were scanned will post pictures later....
    Attached Files
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

What, a motorcycle without a kicker??? Just kiddin' Louie.... I picked up a Shovelhead last summer for a rider and man is it a great running bike. The only thing wrong with it is it's just not old enough for this time tripper!!! Best of luck with yours. It's kinda cool that it found it's way back to you.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

You need to add some skulls and stuff, don't forget the "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" doo-hickeys, though in our case it is more like "Live to Ride, Ride to Eat". Seriously, though, congratulations on your re-purchase.
      Lonnie Campbell #9908
      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

I guess it was meant to be Louie. I would treat it as a good omen.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

It had a kicker on it the first time I had it but it gone now, I will be looking for another.
          The bike currently has ALL that "ride to live" crap on it that WILL be coming OFF. Anyone interested let me know.
          Still working to get the pictures on, having trouble with the old scanned pics.
          Louie
          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

OK, let's try the pics again...

First picture is me in 1981 (before gray hair).
            Second pic is Rose in 1997.
            Third pic is in 2000 when it was sold.
            Forth pic is Sunday.
            Attached Files
            Louie
            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I don't know what direction you're leaning towards Louie; but I would seriously try to take it back to 1981. That's the vintage of bike that would be fun and easy to track down original parts for. You know that anything you find for it at a swap meet is a part you can Presbyterian the seller down on.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

I'm leaning towards not spending any more than it take to get it up and running good. I have bought new Shovelheads back in the day, I don't consider them antiques and plan on just riding the p out of this one. I got plenty of old original and restored bikes to keep me busy. I see it as a good bike for the wife to ride when I ride an antique around, she hates trying to go slow on her Ducati or newer Harley 6 speed while I'm cruising on a 3 speed.
                Louie
                YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Here is a pic of my 79 fxs lowrider. I paid $4,100 in 1980 . This is correct except for the pipes and air cleaner. It should have the 2 into 1 "stovepipe" exhaust and "ham can" air box. The oil cooler and sissy bar pouch has been added.(period correct).
                  As I remember the all black model was 80 CI. and the two tone gray/black was a "74".
                  Of course, this bike is long gone.
                  Attached Files

Comment

You are correct, mine is a 74" and came with two into one exhaust and the ham can filter. Mine also had the oil cooler and sissy bar bag when new. You can't buy bikes now a days that are accessorized like the Low Riders were from the factory.
                    Louie
                    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I came across this cartoon and instantly thought of you Louie.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Good cartoon...yep that's me!
                        Louie
                        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Working...
                        X