Cases Repaired, any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cases Repaired, any recommendations?

Does anyone want to recommend a case repair/restoration person/shop? I have a matching #s 42 EL engine that needs the timing hole restored and relay mount replaced. Someone who can do restoration quality work and you can trust. I'm counting on you guys who know. S.
    Steve

Hi Shinedogg.
    Can you post some pictures of the cases showing the repair area?

Thanks Phil

Comment

Top of the line.
      phil@knuckleworks.com.
      Cycle Works
      11042 Atlantic Ave.
      Lynwood, CA 90262
      (310)537-7480
      Last edited by Robert Luland; 09-18-2011, 02:49 PM.
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Robert, Thank you. I knew that I could get the answer here. Sending knuck cases out to unreliable sources is insane, and being in Alaska is like being on the moon when it comes to this subject. I own a shop up here, and have been working on bikes for longer than I want to say, but even I know when to give it up to the pros.

PSchack, it's just a cracked timing hole and a cut off relay mount, nothing out of the ordinary.
        Steve

Comment

How about Carl Olson shop in South Dakota his son Matt is a great welder and machinist

Comment

Bill, I sent Carl a note. Hopefully he will get back to me.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by shinedogg View Post
              Robert, Thank you. I knew that I could get the answer here. Sending knuck cases out to unreliable sources is insane, and being in Alaska is like being on the moon when it comes to this subject. I own a shop up here, and have been working on bikes for longer than I want to say, but even I know when to give it up to the pros.

PSchack, it's just a cracked timing hole and a cut off relay mount, nothing out of the ordinary.
              Hi Shinedogg,

This is a shot of the engine that is in the Munro Special (World's Fastest Indian). I welded the decks and machined them along with the spigot holes square to the crank shaft center. I build complete Excelsior bottom ends and repair those cases. I would be happy to look at what you have. Hence the request for the picture. "It's just a crack" is typically not a very accurate description.

Comment

PSchack, I appreceiate the info & pic, and now realize what your story is. I will get some photos tomorrow. Someone had repaired the timing hole area before, then went and put a pipe plug in it and cracked it again. I'm going to disassemble the engine this week. The left front motormount has been repaired, but decently. The great thing about these cases are that they are 42 ELs and match. I'll get you the photos this week and again, appeciate your interest. By the way, Burt Munro is one of my heros, and working on those cases would be a hell of an honor.
                Steve

Comment

It was very much an honor. The bike had not run in 20 years. I repaired the cases and made new rods and cylinders. New pistons from Venolia. It runs very nicely. It sounds like it might hurt you if you were to ride it.

P

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                    Top of the line.
                    phil@knuckleworks.com.
                    Cycle Works
                    11042 Atlantic Ave.
                    Lynwood, CA 90262
                    (310)537-7480
                    I second that. Here are before and after pictures of a set of cases Phil did for me.

Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Here are some pics

Here is some pics I took today, small potatoes compared to Chris' cases
                      Attached Files
                      Steve

Comment

If you inspect the cases using "Dy-Chek", you'll be amazed by how far those cracks have traveled.

Comment

That old weld needs to come out and have done over. I wouldn't trust it from what I can see in the pictures. Can't see all of the front mount but it looks like it might need some work also.

Kerry
                          Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

I agree about the old welds. Sending them down to Phil at KnuckleWorks next week, he saw the pictures and says he can make them like new. Can't wait to see them.
                            Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X