Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I find out what was the original paint color of my 1963 Duo Glide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I find out what was the original paint color of my 1963 Duo Glide?

My 1963 Duo Glide was repainted (black) before I got it. I would really like to know what the original color was from the factory. ???

There were a few different options. This may get some ideas going for you... http://www.freewebs.com/colorwrite/colors/1963.html
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by NL967A View Post
      My 1963 Duo Glide was repainted (black) before I got it. I would really like to know what the original color was from the factory. ???
      Motorcycles are not like old cars where the vin number will tell you what color the car was from the factory. The only way I know of is if you can find some evidence underneath the black repaint. Many times people just scuffed the original paint and painted right over it.

Comment

How To Restore Your Harley Davidson book will tell you what color(you really should get that for your 63 pan). As far as a code color, there is none. c.o. is right, John Pierce is the man on paint.
        AMCA #765

Comment

Certain parts may retain some of the original color. The frame side of the gas tanks, portions of the rear fender, etc that will have some of the old color there. There is no way to determine from VIN numbers. H-D did not keep build records and any info from them is suspect as their archive people don't know much. Regretfully H-D only uses vintage connections for marketing, not support of vintage bikes or riders!
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

November Lima-

I have a text published from Antique Cycle Supply Inc that appears to have been taken from a Harley-Davidson Text. For 1963 the colors are, Hi-Fi purple, Hi-Fi red, Tango red, Black, Horizon Blue, Hi-Fi turquoise. For the police model, its Police silver, blue or white. In the "Special Colors" section, they indicate, "Same as 1962 less Tropical coral" For 1962 Special Colors they list: Flight Red, Pepper (Fiesta) red, Hi-Fi Flamingo, Strato blue, High-Fire red, Calypso red, Hi-Fi green, Sabre gray metallic, Jet stream white, Midnight blue, Hi-Fi blue. Atomic(Rio) blue, Tropical coral, Silver, and Hi-Fi turquoise. Feeew!

So, like the other guys have said, look for evidence of the original color from somewere one the bike. I like to look inside headlight housings, side covers, under fenders, etc. Hand sand carefully through the black all the way to the metal. I found 9 (!) layers of primer and paint on my 1958 Rikuo. Unless the whole thing was blasted down to the metal, you will probably find your answer. Good luck!

Oh, I just noticed! Your handle is your tail number! What do you fly? I'm a bit of a aviation buff too!

Denis
            Last edited by denismccarthy; 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM.
            J.Denis McCarthy Come visit The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
            www.barbermuseum.org

Comment

Hello Mr. McCarthy
              Thanks for your suggestions regarding my question. Thanks for commenting on my handle. Besides motorcycles being in the family since 1915 ( still have our 1915 HD) so has avaition. My handle is the call sign of the plane I did my solo in back in 1976.

Comment

The only place I found original paint on my 65 was under the tail light. I don't think it was ever removed from the fender.

Comment

John Pierce at Pierce Color-Write has all of the original Harley colors and his colors are proven to be exact factory shades and hues. (603) 942-5610. He's the only guy I would use for my stuff.
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

Thank you all for the information. I have a Tango Red and Birch White 62 Duo-Glide and got rear ended at a red light yesterday. I'll need to have the rear fender repaired and repainted and want to be sure Tango Red is used. Can anyone recommend a Top Quality Repair Shop on Long Island?

Comment

Working...
                    X