Fuel economy for KHK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel economy for KHK?

How many mpg should I be getting with my '56 KHK when driven at 60+ mph over a long distance?
    Seems like I got ~25mpg the last trip I took. This looks a bit low. My Chief gets 35 mpg. Is it possible that the float is set wrong and that it is dumping gas into the engine?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

George!

If your float is of proper buoyancy, then there is only one float setting: 1/4 inch.

If performance seems unimpaired, but far too much fuel is being used, it would suggest that it has been enrichened to accomodate extra air from a vacuum leak.
    I suggest bubble-testing your intake manifold assembly, as discussed at http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html for certainty.

A #9 rubber stopper works as well as a testplate, although it requires three hands.
    A stopper is the only way the individual nipples into each cylinderhead can be tested separately.

Good luck,

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Mike S., a member of Vintage Iron Riders, rides a beautifully re-engineered KH with KR performance pieces. The last time he checked, he got 48.2 mpg. Of course, his bike has a CV carb; so, that probably makes a big difference.
      George Tinkham
      Springfield, IL
      www.virmc.com
      AMCA # 1494
      1941 Indian 841
      1948 Indian Chief
      1956 H-D KHK
      1960 CH
      1964 BMW R69S
      1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

George!

The difference is the landmark innovation of a horizontal throttle over a vertical.
        L&L introduced this with the DC series, marking the end of classical "tube" carburetors, and the beginning of modern.
        (Ignoring AMALs, and Marvels on Fours of course.)

A vertical disc or aperture favors one cylinder of a V-twin over the other.
        A horizontal disc can only split the flow evenly. Significant efficiency is gained, no doubt.

So comparing classic carbs to modern is apples and oranges at that point.
        (Just as comparing a classic Linkert to a true antique Schebler HX wouldn't be a match.)

It would be interesting to see what a DC hooked up would do!

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-16-2013, 12:33 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

I get about 50miles per US gall on my 56 KHK riding quite hard. It has the stock Linkert M-53 A1. I have factory references for the float height on this model to be 3/16" and that's what I'm on.

Comment

That's quite impressive, JohnA!

Can we assume it has a modern float?

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Yes, Ducky float. One thing I should have said which would make some difference is that I think it has stock KH cylinders. KHK ports I believe are dimensionally different as well as polished. I don't have anything for comparison, but as the ports are rough cast I guess they must be KH.

It feel good though. Recently took it to North Weald Airfield (an old WW2 fighter station) for a bike sprint. I'm not an experienced sprinter but my best time was 16.2 and 76mph into a 14mph headwind. Had a lot of fun. Photo attached - hope it comes out the right size (haven't got the hang oif this yet!).scan0002.jpg

Comment

Great photo -- I saved it on my computer.
                George Tinkham
                Springfield, IL
                www.virmc.com
                AMCA # 1494
                1941 Indian 841
                1948 Indian Chief
                1956 H-D KHK
                1960 CH
                1964 BMW R69S
                1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
                X