New member from Michigan, '54 Harley & pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from Michigan, '54 Harley & pictures

Hello, my name is Bob Farr. I've been riding a '74 FLH for a few years and visiting the Wauseon, OH show for about as long. I'm humbled by the craftsmanship on display at the AMCA meets. I took one step deeper into this madness last month when I traded my '74FLH for a '54FL and joined the Club.

I'm not sure whether I'll be up to the challenge but I think I'm going to attempt a proper restoration to original condition of my '54FL. I spent some time watching the judging today (Wauseon 2011). I may make my first pilgrimage to Davenport, IA this fall to do the same and gather more restoration materials.

My compliments to the judges working at Wauseon! My impression was that they worked very deligently (especially in the oppressive heat!) and provided thorough scoring notes to help the owners achieve their originality goals.

I was lucky to get a '54FL with most of the important stuff intact. Not a barn-find original paint machine, but not chopped either. It's a late production straight-downtube frame. It has matching engine cases, the proper transmission, correct sheetmetal and a few options so I'm off to a good start. I picked up a nice copy of Mr. Palmer's book so that'll help me straighten everything out along the way.

Here's a picture taken by the previous owner. This is what it looked like a few years ago when the owner's grandson got it running again. It was a barn-stored bike for about 20 years before this picture, but even back then it was no longer an original condition machine.

This is what I've done to it so far:

I have a lot of work to do. Michigan winters are good for that.

Bob

hi bob.it is jim carson from blenheim ontario in canada.you were at my place looking for a shaper for sale.if you recall,you were looking at my original 54 pan during this short visit.anyhow,if you need any correctness info,feel free to contact me.email is...topjimmy@mnsi.net have a good one!

Comment

Hi Jim!

Yes, I do remember our vist and how you generously tried to help me find that machine. The timing of your message is also a strange coincidence because we passed by you on Highway 401 twice in the last week while traveling to my brother's wedding in New Hampshire. I told my family the story about our chance encounter as we drove by, but they were more impressed by the huge power-generating windmills in your area.

Thanks for offering to share some restoration information. I'll need it, and I'll take it. If you squint just right at the picture above you will see a hole in the dash where the speedo should be. The original has gone missing. If I remember correctly, speedometers are one of your specialities. I may need to visit Blenheim again soon!

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Farr; 08-10-2011, 06:54 PM. Reason: poor spelling!

Comment

Welcome Bob.....have fun Here

Comment

Working...
        X