lacing 18" 1940 wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lacing 18" 1940 wheels

Having trouble lacing the wheels on my 40 four. There are two different length spokes for the offset. Not sure what the offset is supposed to be and cant seem to get pattern right. The pattern for the later 16" wheels will not work on the 18's. Any help is appreciated.

I know where you're comming from. I have had the most trouble with Indian wheels. All I can say is; the problem has always been with me but I've never had to make more than 3 tries at a wheel to get it laced. I believe the pattern would be the same for an 18" and 16" wheel. As for the offset; I would true the rim in the fork and frame so you get it centered to your machine.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Dimple patterns different 16 to 18. Unlike the 16's it looks as though the inner spokes run in the same direction on the 18's from the pictures I've located. Thanks for any further input

Comment

See if this helps, if not I could send a picture of a laced 18" wheel - not a 40 but prior(I think they would be the same 37-45 interchangeable).

Part 1
        http://virtualindian.org/6techwheels.htm

Part 2
        http://virtualindian.org/8techwheels.htm
        AMCA #10930

Comment

Thanks but that was where I started. That pattern is for the later rims.

Comment

This is a picture of a 1941 four with 18" rims. It's a standard cross 4 pattern and the outside spokes point to the right.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

This do anything for you? (not the best picture!)Four.jpg
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks all for the photos. Looks like inners both point in same direction unlike the 16's. Will try and let you know.

Comment

Howdy Dane,

My machine came with original spokes laced to 18inch Honda rims which I changed to originals. Though my pattern is the reverse of the 441 police machine advertisement posted by exeric, the final layout is the same with inners on both sides pointed in the same direction.

Folks lacing pre-46 wheels for the first time may not be aware that some spoke bending is required. The hub flanges are straight rather than curved inward and with such severe hub offset on the side opposite the brake drum, as well as the outer spokes fouling the spoke heads of the inners where they cross, these outers will not lay flat and must be bent to even preliminarily lace the wheel much less center the rim. That bending point right above the end of the single butted shank.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by PRG; 07-26-2011, 09:47 AM.
                  Cheerio,
                  Peter
                  1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Thanks. Great info from all and finally got it right. Wheels came out sweet.

Comment

Working...
                    X