1930 VL oiling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930 VL oiling problem

I need some help. I restored a 1930 V. I had help with the motor from a motorcycle shop which is no longer in business. There is vast amounts of oil that is being pushed out the breather. I removed from the breather the tube that oils the chain. I removed all the oil from the motor. I pumped 4 strokes of oil into the motor. Drove around the block twice. There is oil everywhere. Just sitting at an idle a spot of oil 6" round developed. I am baffled as to how to solve this. I thought that the oiler was worn out and that oil was getting by the oiler into the motor so I tried another oiler that I had. Same problem. I am assuming that excess oil is going into the motor and being blown out the breather? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi blakester
    I would check the Relief Valve timing first. Sound like it may be opening at the wrong time.

Comment

Dear Blakester, check my VL book for a more systematic approach. You need the breather pipe connected but can block off the little copper pigtail chain oiler pipe. The early cast iron oil pump often lasts better than the later alloy one, so your problem is a little unusual. Check the oil pump looks likes the Riders Handbook and is correctly set up - wide open with the throttle wide open. The 1930 brass hinge pin in the oil pump was changed to steel for 1931, so this just might have broken and jammed your pump open. Most common problem is the hand oil pump check valve leaking past the ball and spring and draining oil into the cases. Disconnect the hand oil pipe to check. I'd start with 3 hand pumps of oil in dry cases, then drain into a container on return from a ride and see if it is more, less, or the same as when you started. The bikes were designed for dirt roads, and probably not fitted with oil rings on the pistons, so you can trim the oil pump below the factory marks as you gain confidence. Good luck.

Comment

The oiler is a later oiler. I checked the ball valve and is not leaking while sitting but I am wondering if oil is passing while the motor is running? Does anyone rebuild the oiler? So I will measure how much oil is put into the motor by the plunger. Then after running the bike drain the oil and measure again.

Comment

How do I check the relief valve timing?

Comment

I'm not familiar with the exact timing process on a V Series motor.
            And if it's like the J Models you will need to search hard for the information, but it is out there. Maybe in the "shop dope" literature? There are several versions avialable and if you don't already have them they are very helpful in maintaining and servicing the older MC's. Good Luck

Comment

Dear Blakester, the breather timing is fixed with the cam timing, so there is probably not much you can do. If you have the late oil pump then you have a late right engine case and oiler cam. Check you have the later style cam cover with the cast in pipes, and that the crankcase disc valve under number 1 and 2 cams is present and OK. It is not in the parts book, but there is a wire mesh screen round this breather valve, plus a special clip to hold it in, and these all help keep extra oil mist out of the breather pipe and off the chains. The hardened steel piston can wear the diecast body in the later pumps, which is hard to fix except by switching pumps, but you still have more checking to do before this stage.

Comment

I've found on my 35 VD that 3 1/2 pumps on the hand oil pump gives me 200 mls of oil in the motor. If I pump in any more it comes out of the cam follower covers. My recommendation is to get Steve's book and follow that through with oil sorting. Once you get the regulation of the oil pump right you can return from a ride with the same amount of oil as you leave. It takes a while but I started with the pump settings over oiling and worked back so that I didn't damage the motor.

Comment

I think I found the problem. The hand oil pump check valve at first check appeared to be holding. But I undid the oil line from the check valve and placed a platic bag under it. The next morning I had about a cup of oil in the bag. I suspect that the engine was sucking the oil through this. I pulled it apart reseated the check ball and it appears to be working. Can't wait to ride it without oil everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X