Engine Removal Question 1940 Indian Sport Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Removal Question 1940 Indian Sport Scout

I inherited a 1940 Indian Sport Scout from a buddies wife and when I got it looked like it was being prepared to having the engine removed, but I didn't know why. So I put it back together and started it up. It ran rough with low compression, but I think the major problem was the crank case leaked. So I am preparing to take it out but it wasn't clear to me if the transmission needs to come out also. It looks like it doesn't. But it also looks like I need to take the front drive sprocket off the crank. Anybody had any experience with this? Any pointers? I'll also be looking for someone who rebuilds these? Thanks in advance...
    IMAG0058.jpg

http://youtu.be/-PsWc2GPbvw

Welcome to the forum! It's been awhile since I pulled the engine on a Scout but it's looking like from the picture that you are going to have to remove the clutch assembly and the engine sprocket as a unit. Then the inner primary comes off and it's a matter of unbolting the front and rear mounting plates and you should be good to go. If I missed anything somebody ought to speak up here eventually. I'm assuming you don't have a manual for the bike. If you don't have one you can download one for free in the club library. http://www.vintagemotorcyclelibrary....1d7a70c97adef6
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Cory's on it, I don't think you missed anything. Been 20 some years since I put mine back in. I was going to say, make sure to git the manual, did not think of down loading it - very cool. I think maybe brace the frame abit, if you looseing all the bolt's and pull the plates. The frame could sag or drop, mainly I think right there under the seat. If you keep that tight I think, you might not need to block it up, but if the paints nice, cant hurt. Good luck, hope your engines troubles are minor. Sport Scout's are great machines!!!

Comment

Just a guess, but if it was leaking from the crankcase and if it was sitting for quite a spell. Scout's are knows to be prone to wet sump and they can do it mighty bad. Smoke you right out of the garage and anything else and they can be bad enough. That they wont run, or will run terrible - of course, you did not say blowing smoke. So thats probably not it, just a thought, also I would check the valve's. Had a friend with a Chief, would not run worth a darn. Looking around trying to check stuff, one of the valves was not closing. Totally out of adjustment, adjusted the valves and you guessed it - ran like new, hopefully its something simple, good luck!

Comment

Tom! I knew I forgot something. If all the bolts are loose the frame is definitely gonna collapse!!!! I now remember blocking mine up with a big ol' block of wood.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

40 Sport Scouts rock! The engine and tranny come out as one unit and is the lower part of the frame. I remove the tank, the rear wheel and the front end when I pull the engine to make it easier to work with but others may do it differently. When you pull the engine it doesn't hurt to go through everything to make sure everything is good. Really frustrating to do major engine work only to discover you need to re-pull it since you over looked something simple. It's a lot of work but then I'm confident my 40 SS is good to go.

20scout

Comment

Working...
            X