tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire question

I was just wondering if anyone had strong opinions (or any opinion) about the Coker 'Excelsior' tire, and the Universal 'ribbed' tire. This is the Universal ribbed.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Here's the Coker Excelsior.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Oh yeah, I should add that I want to use one of these tire patterns on my '16 J. I've used the Excelsior tire in the past and it worked well as long as the tire pressure was kept up. I rather like the looks of the ribbed tire more, but I would like some opinions.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Excelsior tires

Hi Eric,

I've run the 28 x 3 Coker Excelsior tires for years on my 24 Chief and sidecar rig. I've never had a problem, and I don't baby my rig, I ride it! I like them, because they are actually car tires and are much stronger than their motorcycle tires. They have a 4 ply nylon wall and so are a bear to get on, and off. I think the rating is for 600 lbs load, more than enough for our bikes. Also, there is a lot of surface area on the road, as it has a flatter profile and the rubber is harder too. Some of the motorcycle tires are soft and have little tread on the road, especially the NON SKID and button treads and they wear out fast. I've replaced the rear 3 times, since the sidecar tears them up fast, front and sidecar were replaced once each. That is with about 10,000 miles of sidecar use, with passenger and in the hills. Coker also makes an equivelant tire to the excelsior with ribbed tread that looks better, is that what you're looking at? You have to look around in the catalog to find them, not listed with motorcycle tires. I also make sure to run 50 psi all the time, that's what keeps the clincher tire on the rim.
        Gene Harper

Comment

I'm glad you asked the question Eric. I've been tossing around the idea of getting some rubber for my Powerplus and Gene's reply has got my gears turnin'!!!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks Gene and Cory. I was thinking of your Big Chief Gene, and I know that you have been running the Excelsior tires on it. I had them on my 1920 J and they were a good, hard compound tire. I guess that makes up my mind. Cory, are you looking for a show tire, or do you want to put some miles on your Powerplus ? Like Gene said, the show tires are usually quite soft and don't wear well. They are easy to put on however. I still like the looks of the Universal ribbed tire. By the way, welcome Gene. I hope you make the AMCA forum a regular stop. I know we could all benefit from your knowledge.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric, I finally took the plunge and replied to a post. The only bad thing is that every hour I spend fiddling on the computer is one less hour in the shop!

Looked at the Coker web site again. On the motorcycle tire pages (46 &47) there is also a 28x3 clincher that is the Coker ribbed tire, figure D. These are similar to the Excelsior tires, I think. Tread pattern is the big difference. These tires used to be listed under the car section in past cataloges. I have them on my 19X, they are at least 25 years old and no checking of any kind. They still have some tits on them, so very little wear. Bought a 3rd one for the Flxi sidecar to match. These look better than the coker ribbed tire you show and actually have even more rubber on the ground. They may wear better than the one you show in your first picture Eric. Bottom line, the button head and non skids look cool, but don't last at all! I've heard of some guys getting only about 1000 miles from a non skid, very soft!

Turning the computer off now and heading to the shop!

Gene Harper
              AMCA #680

Gene

Comment

Eric, I'm probably jumping the gun on the tire idea as I'm still knee deep in my Panhead but I've been thinking about trying to get the Powerplus rollable here at some point. I do definitely plan on riding it when it's finished so this thread has definitely given me something to think about. I'm in aggreement that it would be nice to have Gene hang around and participate once in awhile, that is if he can break away from the shop long enough!!! Welcome to the forum Gene!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Cory, I ordered the Coker Excelsior tires yesterday. I've been an anxious passenger in Gene Harper's Big Chief sidecar rig and I can tell you that he doesn't baby it, and he takes corners hard. He had the Excelsior tires mounted to it and never peeled them off so I decided that was the way to go. I want my '16J to be a fun, reliable bike that I don't have to worry about. Also, I have that unrestored Rogers sidecar that would be a perfect mate to the Harley since they are both rusty and crusty.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, I'm picturing a ride in that hack!!! Sounds like a hoot!! I'm leaning toward the Excelsior tires when I do get around to ordering some. I like the direction you're taking with your '16 J and I'm guessing it will have a pretty good smile to mile ratio!! I plan on eventually bolting the National hack on my rig and I don't think I could bear to paint it!!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Eric,

One thing I forgot to mention about the Excelsior tires, sit down for this one. Since they are a car type tire, they are designed for a wider rim. Our motorcycle rims are a bit narrower. The tire fits on the rim and has a nice overlap of the flaps, but it's tight in there. That's fine, if you don't want to run a tube inside, because there isn't room for the valve stem! I had to use a small hole saw and cut a hole in the very edges of the beads to accomodate the valve stem. Sounds scary, but it has worked fine for me for 21 + years. Don't make it any bigger than necessary and use the tubes with a metal valve stem, though I've used the rubber ones for years. Corky Coker's face turned pale enough to match his beard when I told him about this! The concern is that it cuts through the cords at the very edge of the lip. If you get these tires, you'll see how tightly they fit under the flange of the rim, so it isn't a problem. Like I said, I've run them for years!

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it!

Gene Harper
                      AMCA # 680

Comment

I've been thinking of deviating from the Avon saftey milage 5.00-16's I normally use on everything. The Coker Classic looks like the old Goodyears I used to allways run, and want to use them on my 51 FL. I haven't ever seen one in person and cannot find a view of the sidewall with the lettering. Anyone know where I can find some pictures, and any info on the ride quality compared to the Avon? I have 0 complaints with the Avon, traction, cornering, and handling off pavement on dirt/gravel is great. Just think the Coker will look more correct.

Thanks, Kerry
                        Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

I ran a set of Coker Classics on my FL, then switched to Avon SMs. Everything about the Coker's are fine, except I ran right through the rear tire in about 3000 miles.
                          The front looked damn near brand new, when I pulled it. They look good, but ride soft.
                          # 5844

Comment

That's good to know about the wearing. I still haven't found any sidewall pictures.

Kerry
                            Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

I grabbed the Coker last night for some images...
                              and found a pic (scan) of the bike with Cokers mounted...
                              not the best quality, I apologise. The bike has morphed a bit
                              (more stocky) since this pic in '02...

74FL-2002.jpg

I have a few cell shots of the unmounted tire, too ...
                              Last edited by rashd; 07-01-2011, 07:41 AM.
                              # 5844

Comment

Working...
                              X