6v vrs 12v armature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6v vrs 12v armature

I have some HD generator armatures that I am not sure if they are 6v 2 brush or 12v 2 brush. Is there a simple method to tell the difference? (and no smarta%# telling me the difference is 6v). I always thought the wire was a different diameter. I get about .035 on some and about .040 on others. But is there a for sure way to tell? Thanks, BobAMCA6738
    Bob Rice #6738

When Perry reads this, he'll have an answer for ya!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Since Cory put me on the spot - the rule of thumb I learned was to double the voltage you halve the wire diameter and double the number of turns (this was told to me by my step father who learned his trade in Germany in the 30s when they converted from 110 to 220 and they rewound everything from toothbrushes and razors on up rather than throw them away). That being said I've never seen an armature with obviously double the number of turns. Even when I've sent out 32E armatures to convert to 12V they come back looking not that much different. I asked the rewinder about that and he said he halves the area and adds turns to make up the difference. Since armatures are typically dipped it's hard to get a good measurement on a wire - but - I have an NOS Harley -61 armature and it measures .045 and a new Accel -58 armature which also measures .045, so that is what I'd use as the base line for 6V. Using the pi r squared rule to compute area if .045 is a 6 volt armature then I would expect a 12 volt armature to have .032 diameter wire (half the area of .045) but I don't have a Harley 12 volt armature to check (I do have a couple jobber armatures from the junk pile that measure in that neighbourhood). That's the best I can offer you ... Perry

Comment

Errr.... sorry for speaking out of turn Perry. I guess I could have just let you reply on your own without turning on the spotlights!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks for the input, it seems like I was on the right track. Anybody rewinding-rebuilding old armatures? Bob AMCA#6738
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Bob, I have used these guys with good results, Tim

Holcombe Armature Co.
            905 Rockmart Rd.
            Villa Rica, Ga. 30180
            (770) 459-5544

Comment

Working...
            X