48 Bonneville mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Bonneville mag

Recently acquired a 48 Bonneville Mag bike. At some point in it's life it was swapped over to Cast iron oil pump and Battery Ignition (dist). Want to locate the correct mag for the year but don't know what model that is. One fellow told me he thought it was
    AJ2 but in looking at images of that Mag it does not look to me like it would even bolt up.
    Currently running Splitdorf NS2 on my 36 chief and love it.
    Anyone know the correct model? Hopefully the correct one will be a decent unit as I tend to RUN my bikes. If it was originally AJ2, then I can understand why it was changed.

Thanks, Dana
    Yankee Chapter
    AMCA Yankee Chapter
    36 Mag Chief
    48 Mag Chief

A bad day spent fartin' around with motorcycles
    beats a good day doin' just about anything else.

It would be a square RM unit in '48.
    RF.

Comment

Thanks Fred! Now to locate said beast, but I've got time.
      Ride 'em, D.
      AMCA Yankee Chapter
      36 Mag Chief
      48 Mag Chief

Comment

Dana
        the 1946 to 1948 sales brochure stated "Mag(if available)" the Edison plant in New Jersey stopped producing the mags. if a customer ordered a bike with a mag, the factory would call their warehouses and dealers to find a mag.
        the correct mag would be an Edison Splitdorf model RM(rotating magnet), you can find them at swap meets around the country.
        I have a 1941 Bonneville Chief with a mag and love it, I always search the swap meets looking for mags or parts for them. I will be at Rhinebeck if you want to see which one you need

Originally posted by Mammausu View Post
        Recently acquired a 48 Bonneville Mag bike. At some point in it's life it was swapped over to Cast iron oil pump and Battery Ignition (dist). Want to locate the correct mag for the year but don't know what model that is. One fellow told me he thought it was
        AJ2 but in looking at images of that Mag it does not look to me like it would even bolt up.
        Currently running Splitdorf NS2 on my 36 chief and love it.
        Anyone know the correct model? Hopefully the correct one will be a decent unit as I tend to RUN my bikes. If it was originally AJ2, then I can understand why it was changed.

Thanks, Dana
        Yankee Chapter
        Last edited by kval; 05-26-2011, 10:25 AM.
        Kevin Valentine 13
        EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Thanks Kevin, Not sure If I'll be at Rhinebeck or not. Will send a PM with my cell#

send you a
          Originally posted by kval View Post
          Dana
          the 1946 to 1948 sales brochure stated "Mag(if available)" the Edison plant in New Jersey stopped producing the mags. if a customer ordered a bike with a mag, the factory would call their warehouses and dealers to find a mag.
          the correct mag would be an Edison Splitdorf model RM(rotating magnet), you can find them at swap meets around the country.
          I have a 1941 Bonneville Chief with a mag and love it, I always search the swap meets looking for mags or parts for them. I will be at Rhinebeck if you want to see which one you need
          AMCA Yankee Chapter
          36 Mag Chief
          48 Mag Chief

Comment

Late RM`s high build number,have no drillings/plugs in front.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg H View Post
              Late RM`s high build number,have no drillings/plugs in front.
              Got it. Thanks Greg.
              AMCA Yankee Chapter
              36 Mag Chief
              48 Mag Chief

Comment

Working...
              X