Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R W Paulette

Hi

Does any one know about a guy called R W Paulette of Midway KY?

Reason being is I recently bought a 1936 Indian 4 and 30 years ago Mr Paulette supplied a number of parts over 4 years to one of the previous owners.

Of course over the period it had changed owners 3 of 4 times and lost some parts, tool box gas taps, chain gaurd etc.

The good news it is almost a complete machine with a lot of work done. However I need some advice regarding some of the parts he supplied such as pistons.
    Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

I haven't heard of him. I am sure someone has. Looks like a nice start to a wonderful machine. Congrats.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Hello,
      Hello Bob Paulette was a fine gentleman that was a tool and die man if I understand correctly. He had a LOT of 4 cylinder parts at one time. He did motor work on 4's and made oil gauges from scratch. I was at his place at the end of his Indian time picking up the last few bits for a friend that had purchased the bulk of his parts. His shop was in a old tobaco barn in Midway Kentucy. Had a nice visit and moved on. This would have ben about 1992 or so. Not sure how long Bob was around after that. Have one of his oil guages for my 36 4. Another one of the "old" guys...
      Jim

Comment

Good to hear from you Jim. I believe Mr. Paulette also made rubber mats and grips. I had a set he made on my 1932 Four. Everyone who mentioned his name always spoke well of him.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Hey Jim, hey Eric,
          I remember him and his goodies. Yep, he was one of the good guys. I think Jeff Grigsby (who is still at it, as I just spoke with him) bought out a lot of his stuff toward the end. Did he have an electric driven machine to "break in" his fresh engines? This way they could wear in with out the heat of the combustion.
          RF.

Comment

Thanks guys, the only question I have is that the pistons supplied have no apparent provision for wrist pin circlips/seager clips. They are new and the cylinders bored to the correct size. Most parts I have missing are available from Jerry Greer.

regards

Tim Bristol UK
            Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

Comment

Sounds like they were set up for teflon plugs?
              RF.

Comment

Tim,
                oem 4 cylinder pistons used a clip that engage at the center of the wrist pin/center of the little end of the connecting rod. Do you have the wrist pins?? Often the original set up is for sale by Robin Markey on ebay.
                Fred I did stop on the way home from Daytona to pick up the last bit of stuff for Griggs. It was strange deal as part of the items that I picked up was a factory set up for line reaming the mains. It had been another mentors friend of mine from Indiana, he often complained that he wished he had kept the tooling but regretted selling it to Bob. Small world for Indians I guess. Picked up the test stand at the same time you speak of as well
                Jim

Comment

Jim,

You were correct, the pistons use the original type center clips. The new pistons have 4 rings, 2 compression and 2 taper profile solid rings presumably to control oil.

Regards

Tim
                  Regards

Tim

Comment

Working...
                  X