Indian Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Red

I've searched these forums quite a bit, and if this information is already out there, I couldn't find it. What is a modern paint code for the classic Indian Red? I also searched the interwebs and couldn't find anything all that concrete. Is there a modern paint producer that has something the similar, or even spot on?

Thanks
    Dave

And the Blue, too... Not sure which I want to paint my 14 with.
    Last edited by rustyspoke; 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM.

Really suprise no responses, Here's what Johhny Eagles recommends - Dupont Nason urethane 88191m code D. He and Chuck Vernon believe it to be correct and they have done alot of Indians over the years. Including many teen's bikes, anyway it's what I plan on using on mine. Hope to make progress this year on mine, I hope I hope :-) Good luck with your's.

Comment

I would think those guy ought to know alright Tom. So is it more of a crimson or the lighter colors that you sometimes see?
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Yep, I would call it a darker Crimson - not lighter. It looks good on the old machines I can tell ya that. Of course I kind of like anything in Indian red :-) I wonder if it's kind of like my Henderson though, I tried to git the correct color. Ask a bunch of folks who know far more than me + several so called experts and ended up with a bunch of different opinions. Finally decided on Lord Blue and am happy with it, so who know's? All part of the fun right? I had some original paint on my deluxe, under the tool box, it was blue - but almost black. The Lord Blue looks black in any shade but out in the sun it's blue alright. Bob Stark sell's an Indian red, probably the other outfit's too. Though again, I wonder if it changed abit through the year's?

Comment

Thanks for the info. It gives me a great starting point. I would have to think that it changed over the years, but who knows? I'll look for the Nason, as everything I read so far said it is a good quality yet inexpensive paint.

Comment

When I painted my 45 chief Indian Red, I got an Original Paint chip from Robin Markey, Took it to the PPG supplier & he Computer matched it, It is dead on nuts exact color, I did not try to find a modern color that was close, I'm sure Robin can get that for you he has Original Paint in Original Cans that's still good. Just my 2 cents
            Oz

Comment

Sounds good! I'll look into that. Thanks!

Comment

RM brand paint is still around and the current mix number in UNO-HD, a single stage urethane, is 8609-A. Many of the old Indian non-metallic color formulas are still available and accurate. BASF now owns the old RM company and can quickly search their database for very old colors, car, truck, and motorcycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 45OZ View Post
                  When I painted my 45 chief Indian Red, I got an Original Paint chip from Robin Markey, Took it to the PPG supplier & he Computer matched it, It is dead on nuts exact color, I did not try to find a modern color that was close, I'm sure Robin can get that for you he has Original Paint in Original Cans that's still good. Just my 2 cents
                  Oz

use DuPont Centari 143AH, the color never changed from the first year (1904) until the end (1953)
                  Kevin Valentine 13
                  EX-Chief Judge

Comment

hi kevin, i cannīt agree with you at all. perhaps the original color was the same for the first years, but sun beams + temperature changes changes it a lot. Untill the end of the 20īs or 30īs the color of Indian was different. when bikes where painted in the indian factory, they used a color that is like carnival red (if you have the possibility to see original color brochures about powerplus, scouts, early models,..., you can see in them that the red is very bright). in a few years, this color was weathered, and you can find old parts with the original paint and the red is very dark, like the red coach; i have found across my life lot of original parts, and the red is very dark. i have choose a red like the carnival for the restoration of some of my indians, as for example my1920 indian scout that you can see at the jerry hatfield book called "indian scout". i think it is a very accurate red, compared with old brochures. other bikes that i have, as for example my 1947 indian chief original paint, the red is totally different.
                    a good information about paints is the pdf called Standothek "Prestige and Classic Cars" that you can find at http://www.standox.com/portal/en?pag...y=Classic+Cars
                    perhaps i am in a mistake, and sorry because my english is not enough good to explain what i have in my head.
                    enrique castells from spain

Comment

Hey Tom is it possible to actually see this color of Dupont Nason Eurothane red on a restored bike. I was using a truck Red which has been discontinued and I am very interested in following up on your recomendation. BUT I would like to see it on a bike first as I have been diapointed in the past. I have been burnt before on the matching game by the "paint experts" and I would rather use an off the rack container that is of good quality and the right look. I have a 1913 ready for paint and have been stalling for several years to paint it.Timely request for me as well.Thanks Dave.
                      Ross

Comment

I was told that Indian Red is the same color as used on Boar's Head meat trucks. I can't confirm this.

John W Weiss

Comment

My choice, Folks,...

For my '49 HD was "burgundy", but it looks exactly like Indian Red to me.

....Cotten
                          Attached Files
                          AMCA #776
                          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                          X