Custom chief wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom chief wiring

What do other builders do when they want to design a simple custom wiring setup for a chief.
    I understand how this works on a H-D, and the chief would be the same generator/battery/distributor etc except the ignition switch is different changing the wiring diagram.

Are all chiefs out there running a stock wiring like i see in my 1951 edition indian riders instruction book.
    Indian pros please advise.

It always took me a while to get tired of the wire nuts before I splurged on a $13 switch from a good hardware store. On, Off, and On/lights. And a toggle handles the dimmer.

Originally posted by bikenut13 View Post
    What do other builders do when they want to design a simple custom wiring setup for a chief.
    I understand how this works on a H-D, and the chief would be the same generator/battery/distributor etc except the ignition switch is different changing the wiring diagram.

Are all chiefs out there running a stock wiring like i see in my 1951 edition indian riders instruction book.
    Indian pros please advise.

Comment

Howdy Phil,

Run both original and Allan Forbes 42-earlier, as well as 46-later original and universal switches and via a jumper wire or two can be made to work with original harnesses for correct judging appearance. Besides fitting as bought harness unaltered, have done them across a range as well. Either replacing individual original wires on the original/old harness with stock appearing (aged) cloth covered replacements done up from bulk stash of wiring/connectors bought from Greer to just building an extra robust one from scratch in heavier gauge (all black sheathing plastic) for this machine. Some of the authentic repro harnesses have very thin guage wire for the battery terminals and I had my points wire core fracture inside the sheathing within the chrome wire tube while in Bike Week traffic on the 48 so wanted a failure proof setup for this rig.

As girder fork chiefs like to bend the ignition key/stress the tumbler mechanism by striking the key head with the handlebar risers when turning, I 've wired a supplemental 15 amp on/off switch under the seat for a quick flick-and-go for day light riding only using the key at night. Not only lowers the risk for a key strike but reduces the number of duty cycles on the switch tumbler in a given day.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas, any more pros out there to help this "indiun neewbee"........ before i start cutting wire.

Comment

Working...
        X