Dual point swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual point swap

I have a stock Harley 62 FLH with the stock dual point distributor and wondered if I could go with a single point style distributor. What all would be involved? I’ve got a used O.e.m. single point distributor that I believe is correct for replacing the two point distributor, I also have the older single point style coil to replace the dual coil set-up. I assume I would just have to install and wire things as you would on a pre 1961-1962 dual point FLH. Am I missing anything here? The reason for the swap is I wanted to try the Ebeyond 2000 Quick start electronic ignition and it’s my understanding that they are built for single point distributors only. Also can I swap out these two distributors without removing the front head if I separate the points base from the bottom half of the distributor? What do you guys think?

No you're not missing anything, it should go exactly as you think. There's enough room for the circuit breaker to come out when it's taken apart. Just put your engine in the front cylinder timing position before you start to make it easier to time when you've installed the single point. Marking your base where the points open will make it easier to locate when you drop it in.

Comment

O.k. good news there! Thank you for the reply and the extra install tip as well!

Comment

The dual coil system is a great thing. You simply need to learn how to properly properly time it. The front cylinder is timed by moving the adjusting screw that sticks out the side of the timer. The rear cylinder is timed by opening or closing the gap of the points for the rear cylinder. Better timing this way than trying to get a happy medium on the single point timers. Yes, they are timers and not distributors. They don't distribute anything.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I agree with Chris on this one. I changed my 62 to single point and then went back to the dual set-up.
          Last edited by cdndewey; 03-26-2011, 05:07 PM.

Comment

My '63 has been converted to single point, but I have the dual point setup. It runs and starts fine most of the time. Sometimes can be hard to start, but runs great once it's going. Why did you convert back to dual point?
            Rod Hansen, Jr.

Comment

Mostly to eliminate the wasted spark of firing both plugs at once, and I think the timing is more accurate with a dual setup.

Comment

Working...
              X