interchangeable 16" chrome Harley rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interchangeable 16" chrome Harley rims

Well, of course, after I put a bunch of money and work into these old rims and hubs, I read in Palmer's book about the two different ones! Oh, to have a brain........I think one I have is the earlier type, because the edge is actually hidden by the tire, which is a newer Dunlop since the bike is ridden. They are all the 40F-705 KH's, with the nipples raised. As far as judging, I need to know if there is acceptance of the same rims, from 1940 to 1980, with the 5/8" hole, or has the judging on these separated the two periods. The numbers stamped inside the rims that aren't mounted are 49, 52, and 54. Thanks.
    Mike

You must have the correct rims on your bike. A simple way to tell the difference is the outside lip of the rim. When the rim is standing straight up if you poured an 1/4 ounce of water on the lip of the rim and it was a pre safety bead rim the water will flow out and onto the ground. If it is the safety bead rim the water will be trapped in the lip.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks, Chris. But this is confusing, because Palmer lists the safety bead, as pt. # 43007-40A from 1963 to 1980. But my parts book shows only one number for the chrome 16" from 1941 through its range, until 1968. It lists the above number only. Since we are on this rim thing, what about the Dunlop 16" chrome that were on my bike when I got it? Did Harley use these as a replacement, or are they just aftermarket? It looks like one is the safety bead, and the other is the older style lip. Thanks! Mike

Comment

Mike,
        The later wheels I have had were all stamped 43006-62. That is
        what is on my original 1965 wheels.......Rod

Comment

HI up!
          Well, I have three of the KH "safety rims, that I have strightened then had blended and re-chromed by Classic Components. Since they are re-chromed, some of the detail of the stampings on the inside has been lost. But, I have not seen the Harley part number stamped in any of them. Just the KH stuff. Where is that Harley number on yours? Palmer does not list that part number, and it is not in my parts book, the 10 year '58 to '68 one. I believe you, and I feel there are some variations in the Duo Glides and early Electra-Glides that are not acknowledged, or researched properly yet. It is time, before everyone who worked on and built them is gone. And the "Motor Company" needs to get off it's ass and do it right for coming generations who will cherish these steeds like some of us do.
          Mike

Comment

Mike,
            I took pictures but they are not very clear. I wanted to be
            able to prove what was stamped inside. I don't recall if the
            stamp was buy the valve stem or not but it is inside the rim.
            There is no K-H hallmarks inside, only the part #. I feel your
            pain. I think I spent $700.00 to chrome those two wheels.
            Rod

Comment

Is the rolled edge of the rim the feature that constitutes "safety bead" rim or is the bump in the bead plane that Palmer refers to the feature that makes the rim a "safety bead" rim. There's been a lot of discussion and I don't feel like it's been clearly explained. Appreciate any input anyone can add

Comment

It is the bump in the bead plane. The rolled edge was a stiffer rim but non-safety bead. Note the number marked in the rim (not a part number so it is not in any book). This was used from '62-'67. Note the pronounced roll in the edge and no safety bead.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Rubone; 11-23-2013, 09:31 AM.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rubone,
                  Thank you so much! I'm not crazy, my 67 FLH does not have safety bead rims after all. It does however have the pronounced rolled rim edges which fits with the '62-'67 time frame you mention. Some of the descriptions / explainations I've seen given would have you believe differently. It all makes sense now. Is it safe to say that the actual safety bead rim came on 1968 and later bikes then?

Comment

Working...
                  X