Generator Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator Gears

This question may be more mechanical than electrical. Can anyone direct me to a source for 3-brush drive gears? The aftermarket gears I purchased recently are a very sloppy fit on the shaft, and loose on the splines. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Kyle, I just got a bunch from Dixie but haven't tried to install them yet - is that where yours came from?
    Ralph

Comment

I just got back from a road trip to Oregon for a load of parts, I was hoping there would be some oem gears in the pile but found underhead valve gears only. The gears I have, I got from Chuck at Kickstart, likely from Dixie. I pulled and cleaned gears from some old generators, they all fit the shaft good, but are a little rough. Did you get a chance to check the fit with the gears you got Ralph?
      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I just got one Friday from Rat at Harbour Vintage for a 32e. I installed it on the shaft Sat. It fit like a glove, looked perfect fit in the bike perfectly. May have been NOS. It certainly didn't break the bank. Don't forget the spring and bearing cover.

Comment

I use gears from Eastern. Nice snug press fit on both OEM and the repro armatures I have ... Perry
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Guys, I'll be ordering from Eastern in a couple of days.
            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Kyle,
              I just got home. Last night I tried my Dixie gears and they are a loose fit on a new Dixie armature. They are a nice slip fit on what I assume are OEM armatures in 2 different generators.
              Ralph

Comment

Thanks Ralph. Just to follow up, the Big Twin Overhead generator gears for 3 brush from Eastern M/C Parts fit well.
                Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Working...
                X