Early sportster top triple clamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early sportster top triple clamp

Howdy, I have a question to ask of the experts!. Was the top triple clamp for K-models and early sportsters steel? I found a steel one at the local shop, but it is slightly different than the aluminum ones found in later years. It doesn't have a casting number that I could see, and the cutout for the cables to go through is different also. I don't have a picture of it or an original one. I am working on a 57' xl and would like to have a proper one. Any help would be appreciated....thanks Mike

Mike,
    The top clamp is indeed steel on the early Sportsters. The one you need has ears on it to mount the ignition and light switches, two on each side facing forward. Without those it won't work for your '57.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the info. I 've got a good how it would look, but does anyone have a picture of one?...again many thanks...Mike

Comment

Here is a pic of the the on my bike , you will need to go HERE It is to big to post
        Last edited by jmanjeff; 01-24-2011, 02:05 PM.
        Jeff Bowles
        Arkansas
        Membership # 14023
        1957 Sportster

Comment

Is one switch for ignition the other for lights?

Comment

yes it is.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks for everyones help. I went back and he had 3 of them. The first one that he showed the first time had all mounts ground off. Thats why it looked a little strange to me. When I went back and inquired further, he pulled out 2 more. One had a set of headlight bracket mounts similar to an aluminum clamp, and the other had all 4 extensions including the 2 half-moon switch brackets and the stamped steel handle bar cover that has sportster embossed on it. I picked that one up. Thanks again. These forums are great!.

Comment

Working...
              X