repainting a frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repainting a frame

What would be better to do paint your frame or powdercoat it? I know that powdercoating is stronger than paint but on a restore would paint be better?

Paint it!!!
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

thats what i thought thanks

Comment

Although the club does allow powder coating, for whatever reason I can't imagine. Powder coating doesn't look anything like the original paint on a vintage machine.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
          Although the club does allow powder coating, for whatever reason I can't imagine. Powder coating doesn't look anything like the original paint on a vintage machine.
          I absolutely agree! Motorcycles were painted.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

1. did they originally use a primer on black painted parts.
            2. Should we use a primer on a frame?
            3.how are the neck cup area's addressed and prepped for paint? Should you mask off so paint doesn't get into the neck. Or perhaps install an old used set of cups?
            AMCA 26656

47EL
            47WL

Comment

Here you see how frames were painted in 1939. Notice they are still covered with residue from being brazed. I have been told by old timers that they paint they used was a primer-less Zinc Chromate paint. As you can see there was no masking of anything.

As far the post war '40's/'50's frames they were Bonderized before being painted. Bonderizing is a conveyor belt assembly line form of Parkerizing.
              Last edited by Chris Haynes; 01-15-2011, 10:08 PM.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

One again, I'm blown away by Chris' photo collection...... I use John Pierce from Pierce Color Write in New Hampshire (603) 942-5610. He's is, in my opinion, the first and last word on all Harley paint matters. He sells true color matches of all paint for most years as well as the corresponding primers. He also does sheet metal repairs and painting in house and does a truly excellent job. In fact, he's currently repairing a '47 knuckle front fender that I crashed last spring. This is THE top shelf guy (in my opinion).
                Last edited by billpedalino; 01-16-2011, 07:06 AM.
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

Has anyone else tried POR-15 black? primer-less, supposed to be pretty hard and durable. Very thin, some chase it with a brush.

Comment

Phil, have you tried it and how did it come out?
                    Jarl Rue
                    Omaha Chapter
                    38ULH
                    62FL, 68FLH

Comment

As you can see there was no masking of anything.
                      Damm right including the poor SOB shooting the paint.

I took Kevens advice and powder coated a couple of rims in satin black and they came out great. Sure looks like paint to me. Before ya paint go on a crud hunt. You can blast a frame for hours and still have crud in the rear lower tranny bracket and the lower seat seat post braket. Ya got to get in there with a little wire brush. McMaster-Carr has a good selction only costing a couple of bucks. Bob L
                      Last edited by Robert Luland; 02-05-2011, 01:34 PM.
                      AMCA #3149
                      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I used POR15 on a street tracker project. Put it on with a sponge brush. Comes out smooth & shiny. Instructions say POR15 will fade in sunlight over time. I don't leave the bike out in the sun and its been on for 4 years now with no fading.
                        I don't know how the color & finish match up to factory paint.

XR1000 Street Tracker Oct 2010 001.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Daking View Post
                          Phil, have you tried it and how did it come out?
                          Gave my painter fits. Gave me the runs! Not sure of its durability. It was supposed to be pretty hard. I'm not convinced.
                          Also, I had to weld on a couple of mounting tabs to my forks that had been painted. In the blast cabinet the paint lifted right off, but there was a primer underneath.
                          I'm thinking of blasting the whole mess again. Probably not the paint's fault.
                          I've flunked every paint experience in my life, even the ones I pay for.

Comment

Por 15 Top Coat

Originally posted by 56servi View Post
                            I used POR15 on a street tracker project. Put it on with a sponge brush. Comes out smooth & shiny. Instructions say POR15 will fade in sunlight over time. I don't leave the bike out in the sun and its been on for 4 years now with no fading.
                            I don't know how the color & finish match up to factory paint.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6118[/ATTACH]
                            56servi
                            They make a product called top coat which is also Black...has UV protection....I was talking to the local paint supplier and he recommended it...you can get it in a spray can....I will try it out on a couple of parts and let you know how it turns out....
                            Last edited by Daking; 02-08-2011, 05:01 PM. Reason: directed at wrong person......
                            Jarl Rue
                            Omaha Chapter
                            38ULH
                            62FL, 68FLH

Comment

I have been using POR 15 for years, it sticks to clean metal that has been prepped according to their instructions, or it sticks to light rust, it is NOT UV resistant and must be top coated or it will peel off after being left out in the sun after some time
                              Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X