1936 Chief rear wheel removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 Chief rear wheel removal

Can the rear wheel be removed as a assembly with the brake drum assembly still attached? Thanks

Not really, especially on a bike with nice paint. You'd be better off removing the brake actuating arm, and removng the entire backing plate, etc off at the same time.
    Sounds like you have an issue with stuck lug nuts? Idealy one would just remove the lug nuts, then slide the wheel over to the primary side of the bike, past the studs, and then out. The internal hollow axle is what is too long for you safely remove the drum while it's attached to the wheel.
    Rots a Ruck, RF.
    PS. Deflated tires sometimes help in these endeavors.

Comment

Here is another way to check. Measure the distance between the frame and the wheel where your speedo drive and a spacer go. Then see if what sticks out the other side is longer or shorter. Remember on the brake side you will have to measure from the inside of the frame to whatever sticks out.

When I assembled my rear wheel I definately put the brake drum assembly in first then the wheel after - I remember it being a tight fit. I also do not have a fender on it at this time.

If really needed and you have a nice paint bike - I could try it on my current rolling chassis 36 chief - no paint to worry about on my end!!!

Let me know if I can help.
      AMCA #10930

Comment

Yes it can if there is no fender. I just did it tonight, it's tight but it will come out the biggest issue is the brake actuator/stud or whatever the correct name is for it. I did not have a grease zerk on the end of it and I'm sure that would make it even tighter.
        AMCA #10930

Comment

Working...
        X