1972 flh frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 flh frame

I have a 1972 FLH I'm restoring. Seems to be a tab missing (just a stub there) on the lower left frame tube bottom, just rear of the motor mount cross bracket. On other frame diagrams I can see the missing tab is about 1" wide by 1" high with about a 3/8ths hole in it, I believe it is for a brake line. Does anyone know if the factory cut off this tab on existing frames because it was not needed on the 1972? Or has this tab been removed and needs to be restored?
    Thanks..... Tim

Tim,

I ambled out to the ol' bike shed to have a look at my '72. I don't appear to have the tab you mentioned. Cosmetically the bike is not real stock but I don't believe the frame has been messed with. I'm not 100% sure on that though. I was out there in the dark with a flashlight. If I get home tomorrow in the daylight, I'll take another look. Hopefully another shovel owner of that era can chime in.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

That bracket is still on a 72 because it is needed for the hydraulic drum rear brake. On 73's you can see where it has been removed. I can send a picture of my 72 if you'd like.

Jerry

Comment

The early 73's still had the brake hose nerd.
        VPH-D

Comment

Cory, thanks so much for the effort and the info.
          Originally posted by c.o. View Post
          Tim,

I ambled out to the ol' bike shed to have a look at my '72. I don't appear to have the tab you mentioned. Cosmetically the bike is not real stock but I don't believe the frame has been messed with. I'm not 100% sure on that though. I was out there in the dark with a flashlight. If I get home tomorrow in the daylight, I'll take another look. Hopefully another shovel owner of that era can chime in.

Comment

Jerry, thanks. Photo would be great. Does anyone have the dimmensions of the tab; height from frame tube to top, width, thickness; size of hole that's in it, or a site that I can look up frame schematic? I really appreciate the help.
            Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
            That bracket is still on a 72 because it is needed for the hydraulic drum rear brake. On 73's you can see where it has been removed. I can send a picture of my 72 if you'd like.

Jerry

Comment

1972 pics

Here is mine.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by THFL View Post
                Cory, thanks so much for the effort and the info.
                No problem Tim. I see that a few folks have weighed in. It looks like it belongs there. I went out a couple of minutes ago to look and it appears that somebody pruned the tab off of my bike.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Here is my 72. Tab is about 3/16" thick and 1 1/4" x 1 1/4". Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Confused. I thought the question was about the tab for the brake line t-fitting near the front motor mount.
                    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Your right the tab is on the lower left bottom tube just rear of the front engine mount bracket, behind the shifter cover. Small hard to see and get to on a complete bike. I have a great picture of one on a 67 frame but can't figure out how to attach it to this reply. Thought maybe someone would have a 72 frame handy. Prbably have to assume the tab shoudld be there a have it fabricated; the bike does have a drum brake on the rear.

Comment

HD FLH FRAME TAB.jpgHopefully this picture comes through. Just behind front engine bracket on lower left.
                        Originally posted by koanes View Post
                        Confused. I thought the question was about the tab for the brake line t-fitting near the front motor mount.

Comment

The tab was eliminated for 1970. The brake switch T is mounted at the trans plate.
                          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

My '72 does not, and did not have that tab. Period.
                            Mike

Comment

Mike and Kyle, thanks for the info..very helpful
                              Tim
                              Originally posted by portagepan View Post
                              My '72 does not, and did not have that tab. Period.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X