scout frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scout frames

Now that I have half a dozen S-S frames under one roof I've been able to study some differences. 34 to 36 appear to have no differences. 37 is one-year only. 38-39 are very similar. 40 to 42 are very similar. 640-B (not present, but literature says is strictly a military sport scout, just green.
    741 gives me a few head scratches. The tank mount holes are further apart in front. Is this an odd-ball frame? Or did they use a taller neck to go with the lengthened forks? and maybe use Chief tanks?

any answers welcome, corrections, whatever.

Hey Phil,
    The 741 tanks have the same shape as the other Scouts & Chiefs, but the mounting brackets are altered. The forward braket is actually cut in two, resulting in a different bolt pattern on the frame. If you happen to have a loose 741 tank kicking about, you can see this on the inside surface.
    I think the shifter boss may have changed between '35 & '36 also. These Sport Scouts sure were a different animal compared to the rest of the American bikes of the time.
    RF.

Comment

Thanks, RF. I should have clarified that I was studying the front sections only, but you knew that!
      The frame that I believe is 741 has been cannibalized, no rear hanger (dog-leg to me), dash-mounts cut off, and I couldn't tell whether the tank holes in the neck were welded shut or if it really is the top holes in the frame that take the tank mounts. None of my ugly tanks fit it. Another distinct difference in 741 from others is that the neck casting has that curved relief for the tank a little deeper than the others.

Comment

Hi Phil,
        The 741 front frame sections also mount the generator differently. The casting/bracket at the bottom of the forward down-tube is the biggest give-away. Of course, all this kind of stuff was ground away & removed for racing applications. But the 741 front sections are the most desirable for racing; the engine bay is much smaller and squeezing in a 45" engine is more difficult & requires different engine plates. It's the 741 REAR section that is more desirable, plus their longer front fork. Most guys want the '40-42 front section with the "dog-leg" to clear the desired bigger finned, square based cyls.
        What's a big guy like you doing messing with Scoutties anyway? Forming your own racing team?
        Happy New Year, RF.

Comment

Sounds like my "42" 741 is worth more in pieces and parts.......
          Chuck
          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
            Sounds like my "42" 741 is worth more in pieces and parts.......
            You couldn't ride it that way, Chuck. Concentrate on the intangibles! forget the $.
            Although, at D-port there were a few SS's for sale, runners (so said), for around 10k.

RF, the necks are beefier too. .. haven't detected that smaller engine bay yet. I know that they used 30.50's. But I laid the 741 frame on top of a 38-9 frame (remember, I said my 741 lacked rear hanger), and the necks, rear castings, and top motor bracket were in alignment. The front down-tube of the 741 was bent forward about an inch, probably evidence of failure along with apparently broken-off and missing rear hanger.

I love the scouts! and the racing. Too bad the George Bros can't get young riders for theirs every year. or, .. I don't know, but the scouts haven't been in the competition last several years. Never know, fielding a racer is quite a fantasy. Not sure what kind of a haystack it would take to stop my 250#, though.

Comment

and how about Dispatch Tow front frame sections, how did they differ?

Comment

#s under the seat area. That's about it. Although, the commercial stuff seemed to lack behind; I have a '36 DT front section that is physically a '35 (the diff. is in the shifter area). Just like how the Australians got all the old stuff, marked as new. Wierd.
                RF.

Comment

I bet you that nobody back in those days ever gave a thought to how hard we would be working to figure it all out.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Sure they did Cory! They messed things up on purpose, just to watch us in agoney. They're all laughing at us now!
                    Known fact! : )
                    RF.

Comment

Working...
                    X