1935/36 Chief frame differences.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1935/36 Chief frame differences.

If the frame numbers aren't legible, are there identifing differences between a 1935 and 1936 chief frame? Thanks

Not according to what I can find about them. I have a 36 Cheif and my understanding is other than clips and some bracket changes which were minor but nothing to the frame. I do know 37 had lugs on the front down tubes for the forward mounted shifter which was a change from the 36 and down trans mounted shifter arm.

To (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

Jerry Hatfield's book indicates that the steering head changed between 1935 and 1936. According the The Indian Motorcycle Restoration Guide, 1932-1953 the 1936 head tube was a new "solid" design. I've got no pictures.
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Yes, I did read on the internet that a 1936 change was "Solid steering head re-design". I don't have Hatfield's book and I can't figure what Solid steering head re-design could be. Thanks for all responses thus far!

Comment

I think somewhere around 34 to 36 the inner diameter of the frame mounted cast shifter tube changed but I could be wrong?

Comment

So it looks like the change in 1936 relates to the sides of steering head where the top horizontal frame tube and the down tubes meet and join at the steering tube in a triangle. The "solid" steering tube in 1936 and beyond has a flat face on each side, while the 1935 and before has more of a bracket appearance that shows the cross bar and down tube ends with their bulges and a curve at the triangle there. Hatfield's book has photos, but I don't think they'll scan very well because you can hardly see the difference when you look at the photos in the book... too dark.

Also, Hatfield's book says there's another 1936 frame difference when compared to 1935. According to the book, the brake light switch for 1935 and before was clamped to the frame, while new for 1936 there was a "boss" for the switch built into the frame.
            Last edited by pisten-bully; 12-05-2010, 06:42 AM.
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by 46EL View Post
              I think somewhere around 34 to 36 the inner diameter of the frame mounted cast shifter tube changed but I could be wrong?
              I believe 1937 was the first year for a frame mounted shifter. Prior to that, the shifter was dirctly mounted to the trans tower.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Plus, '37 was the first year for Dashboard Mounting tabs!
                http://laughingindian.com/
                http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Well, I was hoping it was a 1935 frame but with your help , I was able to figure its a 1936. Many thanks to all for your help!

Comment

stearing head Indian Chief/Four

please find attached pictures of a stearinghead of a 1935 Indian Four which I would say is the same as Chief.

As far as I am informed this was the same on 1932-1935 bikes (or even early 1936 - as I know of an early 1936 Four (upside down) with the old stearing head and gastanks+caps)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Don't think I saw any mention of the brake light switch mount. 36 was first year. 35 was taillight only. Tab welded on right sie, 3/8 x 2 inches or so with two tapped holes, don't remember size. According to conversation I had w/ Rob Markey, Bob's indian sales, Etters, PA, the 36 was more heavily built and much improved consequently over the 35. Yeah, 35 may be more valuable / desirable due to the rarity, but The one-year-only stuff will kill you. I think you'll be quite happy with it being a 36 in the long run.
                      AMCA Yankee Chapter
                      36 Mag Chief
                      48 Mag Chief

A bad day spent fartin' around with motorcycles
                      beats a good day doin' just about anything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X