"J-A-P" There, I said it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "J-A-P" There, I said it!

When is this nonsensical elementary-school software prejudice against the three letters "J"-"A"-"P" going to be corrected on this forum?
    I mean, this alleges to be the forum of the premier antique motorcycle club on the planet! We talk everyday about J-A-P-anese motorcycles, which come out "***anese" after the software gets through with it, and any mention the famous and very honorable English J. A. Prestwich motors (hearts of racing champions and Brough-Superior among others), which come out typed as "***," here. Whatever that means, requiring a crystal ball to fathom. We're not school children. Just interjecting this nonsense requires a mental assault, basically, bringing up a whole chapter of the world's history and injecting it EVERY TIME into completely unrelated conversations.
    We can't see directly the unoffending words because of some "zero tolerance" childish censorian edict against "offending," in an entirely different context, the descendants of the people who bombed Pearl Harbor, conducted the Bataan Death March, and, enslaving our POW ancestors, forced them to build the Burma Railroad? That's absurd! I just brought up the whole bloody episode and didn't use the "offensive" three letters once!
    Grow up!
    Last edited by Sargehere; 11-27-2010, 09:40 AM.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

I agree! Politically correct is way past its prime. As adults, in our present societies, we are supposed to be beyond the train of thought that this politically correct censorship sought to correct in the first place. Instead, IMO, it is reminding us at every opportunity, and reinforces those prejudices in some, as opposed to 'live and let live - forgive and forget" as it should be. Like you said, in the context of this thread, it has no other meaning. As a test, I wonder if the acronym for white Anglo Saxon protestant is censored. WASP. Here is another closer to home for our southern neighbours. YANK. And on for us guys in the snow today .... CANUCK. Now lets see what happens.....
    Regards;
    Milrite
    AMCA 17907

Comment

Uh-oh...! NOW ya done it...!

Comment

OOOOH, I guess Limey,mick and frog are out also. It's ok I am all part of those groups and I'm not offended
        Last edited by chibobber; 11-27-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

What about Chink, ****, and Nip?
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I see that G00k didn't make it.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

they got you on one Chris! For you VN vets **********s
              Last edited by chibobber; 11-27-2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

ok how about fly craniums
                I'm done

Comment

Sorry, but what can you say. Sargehere is correct.
                  This type of thing does nothing to alleviate the perceived problem. Like being force-fed crap, you aren't going to lap it up and enjoy it, we are hunter gatherers and we are going to react defensively as soon as some one tries to give it to you. Blanking it out does not promote for healthy dialogue, which is the key ingredient for change. You cannot force healthy dialogue; both sides need equal and realistic expectations for a perceived acquisition of advantage, and compromise is inevitably the deciding factor. That is how both sides can say they won. And both sides now feel they can provide real change, because they both "won". Kind of like a collective agreement for our Union brothers. Union wins. Management wins. There is no compromise with censorship.
                  Regards;
                  Milrite
                  AMCA 17907

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                    Uh-oh...! NOW ya done it...!
                    Ooops. I was responding.... But I see what you mean!
                    Here I thought this was going to turn into a deep debate on freedom of expression!
                    I'll watch myself next time!!!!
                    Regards;
                    Milrite
                    AMCA 17907

Comment

I think it's rediculous.
                      You'll probably be seeing a lot less of me around here......... not that anyone saw a LOT of me here in the first place. But I generally come in every day and read the threads that I have an interest in, and that's all. Looks like if the moderators have such a tight grip on people's speech, I won't be bothering any more.............

Comment

Gerry
                        you are right, this is just DUMB. that the checks are that rigid. I will check and see what can be done
                        after all we do have j-a-panese bikes in our club.(UGH!!!!!! I HATE CENSORSHIP)

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                        When is this nonsensical elementary-school software prejudice against the three letters "J"-"A"-"P" going to be corrected on this forum?
                        I mean, this alleges to be the forum of the premier antique motorcycle club on the planet! We talk everyday about J-A-P-anese motorcycles, which come out "***anese" after the software gets through with it, and any mention the famous and very honorable English J. A. Prestwich motors (hearts of racing champions and Brough-Superior among others), which come out typed as "***," here. Whatever that means, requiring a crystal ball to fathom. We're not school children. Just interjecting this nonsense requires a mental assault, basically, bringing up a whole chapter of the world's history and injecting it EVERY TIME into completely unrelated conversations.
                        We can't see directly the unoffending words because of some "zero tolerance" childish censorian edict against "offending," in an entirely different context, the descendants of the people who bombed Pearl Harbor, conducted the Bataan Death March, and, enslaving our POW ancestors, forced them to build the Burma Railroad? That's absurd! I just brought up the whole bloody episode and didn't use the "offensive" three letters once!
                        Grow up!
                        Last edited by kval; 11-27-2010, 04:45 PM.
                        Kevin Valentine 13
                        EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Well thank you, Kevin! I'm sure no one will abuse the relaxing of censorship of shortening of the name of the j-a-p-anese people in a derogatory way, and if they do, I'm also sure they'd hear about it here.
                          Gerry Lyons #607
                          http://www.37ul.com/
                          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Milrite View Post
                            I agree! Politically correct is way past its prime. As adults, in our present societies, we are supposed to be beyond the train of thought that this politically correct censorship sought to correct in the first place. Instead, IMO, it is reminding us at every opportunity, and reinforces those prejudices in some, as opposed to 'live and let live - forgive and forget" as it should be. Like you said, in the context of this thread, it has no other meaning. As a test, I wonder if the acronym for white Anglo Saxon protestant is censored. WASP. Here is another closer to home for our southern neighbours. YANK. And on for us guys in the snow today .... CANUCK. Now lets see what happens.....
                            Hey Milrite,
                            Some of us Yanks to the SOUTH of you got some of the white stuff yesterday
                            Chuck
                            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                              Hey Milrite,
                              Some of us Yanks to the SOUTH of you got some of the white stuff yesterday
                              Well that is good to hear!!! I know when we feel like we are getting too much of the white stuff, we just turn on the news from Buffalo and we get instant relief! Man, do they get some snow off the lake! We get nothing compared to those folks...
                              Regards;
                              Milrite
                              AMCA 17907

Comment

Working...
                              X