Lower bearing for steering head tube on 1946 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower bearing for steering head tube on 1946 Chief

I am looking at the head tube on my '46 Chief frame, bottom's up where the lower bearing for the crown sets in... and to me it looks like there is a bearing race pressed in there. But when I look at the parts diagrams or the service manual there is no separate bearing race showing for post 1945 models. Take a look at this photo and see what I mean. Is there a separate bearing race or is it just cast in a way that is fooling me?

lower bearing.jpg
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Sure looks like a race to me. The bearings in my trans are that way. It might be just the style of bearing that someone put in there. You can get a lot of bearings with the same dimensions but with thrust in one direction/ both direction / shielded etc.

Comment

It looks like the Remains of an old bearing. Take it out and install a new bearing.
      http://laughingindian.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
      A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Does the bearing look like this?

34VD 002.jpg34VD 001.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Bills37 View Post
          Does the bearing look like this?
          I actually don't even have the bearing to compare, that's why I was curious. (Since a 1946 calls for a sealed bearing I was curious if for some reason what I was looking at was an older loose ball type bearing. It doesn't look like the race from a sealed bearing, but it probably is.) I'll just pop it out and go with a new sealed one. Thanks for the input!
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Run a bead with a welding rod around the inside of the brg. race and let cool. It will fall right out.

Comment

Working...
            X