28 Single AA magneto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 Single AA magneto

Can someone please tell me what model magneto is correct for a 1928 OHV single? Mine is missing identifying marks. I beleive a "Baby Bosch" is correct, however without knowing which model, it makes it very difficult to search for parts/rebuild! Thanks in advance for helping this newbie!!!

IMG_1190.JPGIMG_1168.JPG
    Regards;
    Milrite
    AMCA 17907

your photos make it hard to tell what you have. it may be a lucas. if what you have makes spark us it and look for a baby bosch later. with that said here is what you will need to look for (ff) baby bosch (v) 2 cylinder (1) single cylinder (r) right hand rotation (L) left hand rotation. when looking for one don't worry about the R and L infact don't worry about the twin or single cylinder. just look for the ff.when you have it rebuilt they can worry about the direction of rotation.it can be changed then.single cylinder mags have a plug in one of the wire holes.if you pull out the plug and find your self a contact tower you can make a single into a twin mag.if you pull out the contact tower and find a plug your twin mag is now for a single.if your doing a points bike the you can worry about all the #'s stamped on your mag

rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

baby bosch or the ff mag's are made in germany not america you will see some #'s after the ffvrs in my photo.i think and no one can confirm that they are millimeters to the center of the mag shaft.your mag will need to shimmed so that it matches the gears in the case. on the peashooters it's a big shim. a cast aluminum pedestal of an inch or more. nobody likes to let these mags go and they are almost never complete and always need work.
      rob ronky #10507

Comment

Peashooter Bosch Mag. BA1f Model

SANY1198.jpgSANY1197.jpgSANY1195.jpg
        Originally posted by Milrite View Post
        Can someone please tell me what model magneto is correct for a 1928 OHV single? Mine is missing identifying marks. I beleive a "Baby Bosch" is correct, however without knowing which model, it makes it very difficult to search for parts/rebuild! Thanks in advance for helping this newbie!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5475[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5476[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5477
        [/ATTACH]
        Leo,
        Photo's of correct mag. Bosch BA1f, hard to find ,may check with guys in Austrailia,New Zealand,or U. K.
        Ken
        Ken S., # 6457
        1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
        1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Here is one that recently sold at auction in England.
          http://www.cheffins.co.uk/lot/-321368-vintage-0
          Set up a Google Alert using http://www.google.com/alerts and the words Bosch BA1f
          Google can then alert you when they spot these words. Let us know how the search goes. ...bill
          Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

this is where a good clean debate comes in.your photos look to be a twin port motor.i belive that to be a racing version of the ohv.the baf1 will work and work great. the ff will work and work great also. the baf is for a street model. the ff makes a hotter spark.what the hell that means i don't know maybe one tenth of a horse power.i have been told the ff makes a spark at lower rpm. that may help with bump starting either way both will work. when your flying down the road with a smile from ear to ear and bugs in your teeth nobody will care witch on is right.if that lucas or bth you have works use it back yard hotrod stuff is cool. here is a link to a 28s
            http://www.yesterdays.nl/harley-davi...8.html?invis=3
            here is a link to a mag. most all will need work
            http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-RARE-BOSCH-...item255d87a3c9
            rob ronky #10507

Comment

Google Alerts = Brilliant! Never thought of that.....Thanks Bill. I have a few things that will come in handy for.
              I found a local vintage tractor guy (yes, you read that correctly), that has a stash of old magneto's. He was busy with his stuff at the fall fairs around here, but I can go digging in a few weeks. You never know what these guys have.
              If not, I'll use what I have. A long way to go yet, but better to start early for the hard to find parts.
              Last edited by Milrite; 10-13-2010, 07:57 PM.
              Regards;
              Milrite
              AMCA 17907

Comment

Figured it out! The one in question on my single is a BTH Type MC1. Used on 50's Norton's and the like. A very desirable unit with that crowd apparently. Thanks for the help everybody! Much appreciated!
                Regards;
                Milrite
                AMCA 17907

Comment

Working...
                X