Hoyt ammeter, wrong bezel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoyt ammeter, wrong bezel?

I can't figure out how this bezel fits onto the Hoyt meter. Either I'm missing a band or clamp, thick gasket, or I've got the wrong bezel! This bezel doesn't sit on the rim of the meter, and even if it did I don't see how it attaches. Can anyone enlighten me?
    Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

That bezel looks like it's off a Weston 354 ammeter. I believe the bezel for your Holt should fold over the lip of the cup ... Perry

Comment

Thanks for that idea, Perry. And it may well be, but I don't know who else used Weston beyond HD... and if it is HD then that would be one more bike that's mixed in with this bunch of parts that came with this project. Wrong bezel is the sum of it I guess!

(Ever notice that unless you have a whole gauge in your hands all you ever see is those that are installed on working machines and those in a catalog... and all you ever see is the face with bezel installed.)

I've got a box of small parts that I don't know where they come from. The original owner also had a 741 and a vertical, but to the best of my limited knowledge no Harley Davidsons.

For example... these two pieces of sheet metal:
      Attached Files

Comment

I have an original Hoyt ammeter and Perry is correct. The bezel you have is wrong and will not work. The correct bezel folds over the lip of the ammeter cup and is permenantly crimped to retain the glass, gasket, and bezel. The only suggestion I can make is to machine a new bezel on a lathe, or contact Kevin Flanagan at "indiangauge.com" I believe he makes the whole gauge.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Hoyt meter...

Here is what I have in the spare parts stashA hoyt meter 001.jpgA hoyt meter 002.jpgA hoyt meter 004.jpgA hoyt meter 003.jpg. An earlier '46 Hoyt meter, and in the second set of two photos a late_'46-47 angled meter. For your Indian, you are looking mostly at the first two photos. The photos are crappy, I know. But maybe you can get an idea...Bones
          Last edited by BONES47FL; 10-03-2010, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Kevin Flanagan can supply you with the correct Bezel for your Hoyt Meter or he can repair your ammeter. I can recommand Kevin - he is a very skilled electro-mechanic and fiendly person!

http://indiangauge.com/

Best regards,
            gsottl

Comment

Originally posted by gsottl View Post
              Kevin Flanagan can supply you with the correct Bezel for your Hoyt Meter http://indiangauge.com/
              Perfect! Thanks for the help everyone. I see that Kevin shows the ammeter with a black bezel, I would have assumed that a chrome bezel was correct, but another 1946 Chief that I use for reference from time to time also has a black bezel. Plus, the photos from Bones also show a chrome bezel.... "The devil is in the details!"
              Last edited by pisten-bully; 10-04-2010, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X