Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servi-car rear end oil.

Hello,
    Could sombody please tell me or explain on what i need to do to get oil and what weight in my 41 servi-car rear end. I tried to look it up and i found nothing as far as oiling in the rear bell housing of a servi-car(am i missing something in palmers book?). It makes sense to me that the differential gears need oiling. But i'm confused on the bell housing window towards the front that it would blow out the oil. Servi-car reference is very limited to say the least and too try to find any information is extremely hard to come by. Am i missing something here? Probly a dumb question, but i figured it's better to ask than mess things up. Thanks, len.
    p.s. I was asking questions in the flathead section on my servi but seen the three wheel section and so i posted here.
    AMCA #765

Len,No lube in rear end.Uses grease.Fittings are on the housing.
    Bob
    Did you get my PM?
    Last edited by chibobber; 09-23-2010, 06:27 PM.

Comment

There is a grease fitting on the differntial housing left half. This is inside the axle housing. During Assembly four ounces of Harley-Davidson Grease-All grease was pumped in. There is no mention of servicing it in the Service Manual. It is found in the Riders Handbook. The grease gun would reach this fitting through the window. It recommends greasing it once a year. There are also four grease fittings on the rear axle for the axle bearings and another for the speedometer drive.
      Best to buy a Service Manual and Riders Handbook when you pick up a new bike.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Part # for 59 to 71 servi-car is 99486-71. most would apply to yours. Some say you can do a search using the part #.
        Chris is right on again.
        Bob

Comment

Thank you Bob and Chris, i greatly appreciate the advice. Chris, on the window for the bell housing, if i move the wheels around, would the grease zerk show itself? I do have the 1940-58 45" and Servi-car service manual and i'm guessing(hoping) that it's there, is that correct? The manual does not show the zerk inside the housing. And also please, if you could be so kind as to tell me what riders manual the information you mentioned is in? Sorry, but all i can find is information on 45" service and servi-cars are in the back and not very much to speak of. Could i be able to get that off of the AMCA archive list and download it? I have been working on this Servi-car for a very long time and Servi-cars are new to me and this is my first one. So it's been a learning experience from the begining and i try to do things right. Again, all the help is appreciated, len.
          AMCA #765

Comment

Len,
            They do have the grease fittings but I am pretty sure that mine is oiled and everything sort of sloshes back. I at least thought that was part of the oiling process. That's why they have that nice enclosed chain guard that always wants to lose it's screws, all one million of them. I knew mine got oil because it would slop all around and then when the exhaust got hot it would bake on the chain guard and smoke the mosquitoes away. You gotta love those servicars.
            Denise

Comment

Thank you denise so much. I will do some more checking on this and hopefully i can find out what i can do...I hope chris or anybody else get's back with the questions i asked and then i'll call hagel in kentucky. He builds servi-cars all the time and maybe he can shed some light on the subject. I just want to make sure that what i do is what needs to be done in the correct way....I should just put oil in it ? I'm confused now..... By the way, did you get my email on the siren? I would be happy to send some pictures your way of the setup as i mentioned before. Len.
              P.S. What year is your servi-car? I have extra from my build if i could help in anyway.
              Last edited by len dowe; 09-23-2010, 08:56 PM.
              AMCA #765

Comment

The factory Service Manual says to use grease. Try to find a Servi-car Owners Manual. They show up on eBay now and then. Mine is a 1973 version.
                Be sure to visit;

Comment

Len, I thought I sent a p m back to you. Let me know if you got it on the pm. My servicar is a bit of this and that. My axle is with the later years because I wanted juice brakes. I had the earlier model with the spoke rear wheels and sold them, I had two. Denise

Comment

Hi Denise and Bob,
                    I sent a P M to you both. Thank you so much, Len.
                    AMCA #765

Comment

Chris,
                      Thank you so much for the time and trouble you spent to show me this. It was a wealth of information.. I proceeded as the manual said(thanks to you) and i didn't see a grease fitting in there. I looked and looked and looked and looked again. Could it be possibly be that the early servi's might not have one? Uhmm, i'll keep my eye's open for manuel and hopfully pick an early one up. I did on the other hand, grease my zerks really well on the rear end and hopefully i can cross that off the list. This build has been a long time project and i'm dying to get it off the lift. So thank you for your paitence with me and i really do appreciate all the advice and help,,
                      Len.
                      AMCA #765

Comment

Ok!! I found my grease zerk. Yea!! .It's in the back window of the bell housing..There is a front and rear window and i didn't know that,,Duhhh!! Not that anybody mentioned it was in the back window!! Gezz, why do i always learn the hard way. Now i'm confident my whole rear end is greased!! Have at it guys. LOL
                        P.s. Hope this helps you Denise...The rear does need grease.
                        AMCA #765

Comment

It only took you a year and a half to find the grease fitting?
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

Not to bad huh? Considering i know a guy that has been trying to assemble a bike for over 20yrs
                            Last edited by len dowe; 05-10-2012, 06:20 AM.
                            AMCA #765

Comment

Touche! You go boy!
                              AMCA #3149
                              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
                              X