need help with my coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with my coil

hello, i'm trying to find a source for a good coil for my 41 servi and other projects. both style of coils, early and late. i was told to boil my coils but then i read sargehere post on putting the wires down in it first to make contact with the prongs and i wasn't told to do that. i boiled them before seeing the post and i didn't do that. now my prongs are covered and i think i messed up two coils. is there some way to fix this or have i ruined two coils(i hope not) or is there a really good replacement that somebody can recomend? or somebody that can rebuild them? i'm hoping i didn't ruin them. thanks in advance, len.
    p.s. i did a search and could only find sargehere's post.
    AMCA #765

Len,Do you have Palmers resto book?If not please get it.It will answer so many of your questions.
    If you heated your coils and the tar filled the hole,you will have to clean it out.According to Palmer find a piece of cooper tube the size of your spark wires,cut saw teeth on the end and place in hole and rotate it to cut out the tar.Be very careful not to bend the prong at the bottom of the hole.I don't know what you mean by boiling the coil.Palmer outlines the way to pass current through the coil to warm it prior to removing or replacing the leads. No really good replacements that I know of.
    Good luck Bob
    Last edited by chibobber; 09-21-2010, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much Bob, I overlooked the part in palmers book about reaming the tar if you don't put the leads in first and so on. Sorry about that(brain fart). As far as boiling the coil, I was told to boil the coil in a pot of water to let the tar settle back to being level in the housing and then it might bring it back to conducting? Obviously electrics is hard for me. I can get the basics(we all have our strong points and electrics is not one for me)but beyond that, it's kinda of tuff. I reamed the tar out and i can see the prongs down in the coil now so i'm going to try how palmer lays it out on testing the coil. I'm pretty sure i have all the materials to accomplish this.... One thing though, when i cut the plugs wires, do i leave some of the wires exposed on the end, or do i cut them straight and push the ends of the plug wires onto the the prongs in the coil? It seems to me that i need to leave some wires exposed on the end of the plug wires. Also if i may, i can see the prongs down in the coil but they now have tar all over them. Will this hender the process of what i'm trying to do here? Again, thank you for all the help, len.
      AMCA #765

Comment

Len,I know what you mean about electrical stuff.Cut the wire flush,Put a little bevel on it and push her home.The little tar on the prong should not interfer to much,but i'm quessing.Are you using metal core wires?I don't think the carbon cores will work.Try to get as much of the tar off as you can.Maybe use a large tooth pick or a q-tip with a very little bit of solvent.
        Bob

Comment

Working...
        X