Front fender judging issue - 1955 Panhead at Davenport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front fender judging issue - 1955 Panhead at Davenport

I am not an expert, but I can not figure out why the judges thought my front fender was from a newer (60s) bike. What do you think? Images linked below are same as it was presented at auction, just as it was at Davenport.

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/showImag...6/20918/11.jpg

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/showImag...20918/11-2.jpg

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/showImag...20918/11-1.jpg

Please feel free to share your thoughts. I acquired this bike about a year ago at auction and intend to bring the machine back to as near correct as I can over time. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Brian
    Last edited by got_groove; 09-08-2010, 10:55 AM.
    AMCA# 14373
    "I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles" -Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer.

Brian,
    I have a Winner's Circle '55 FLH. Fender looks identical to yours. I would be glad to share with you any info you need in your quest. Judging can be a daunting task, albeit highly enjoyable. PM me if you need anything.
    Wayne #4329

Comment

Brian,
      What I see is that the fender mounting brackets are of the heavier later type. The early ones are not as stout and hence the seemed to break from vibration etc. No rolled edge and extra bends and wider material like later ones. They beefed them up on the shovels and possibly late pans. I am not an expert but this is something that I have noticed over the years of looking at an working on pans. Other than that the bike looks great. Have fun a ride the wheels off it.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
      AMCA #12766

Comment

Yepper, good eyes Rollo
        Mine are flat stamped w/o rolled edges.
        Wayne #4329

Comment

Rollo, you are correct. I just went out and looked at my original paint 57 and my 99.75 pt original paint 68. The 57 has definitly totally flat brackets, the 68 has slightly rolled at the edges brackets. Looking at the pics provided they look like my 68, not my 57. My 58 has rolled edges but I can't say for sure that it is the original fender as it is a re-paint and a late 80's restoration by me after being a chopper that I built in 70 from a bone original and traded everything away. David Sarafan got me a 58 roller in 88 and everything else on it was 58 but.......who knows????
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
            Brian,
            What I see is that the fender mounting brackets are of the heavier later type. The early ones are not as stout and hence the seemed to break from vibration etc. No rolled edge and extra bends and wider material like later ones. They beefed them up on the shovels and possibly late pans. I am not an expert but this is something that I have noticed over the years of looking at an working on pans. Other than that the bike looks great. Have fun a ride the wheels off it.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
            AMCA #12766
            Tom ,had the correct answer,this fender is 1958 on up,the flat tab fender is from 49 to 57,if I remember correctly.
            Ken
            Ken S., # 6457
            1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
            1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Hi Folks, I really appreciate the information. I had a feeling it might have something to do with the mounting brackets because as near as I could tell with my untrained eye, the front fender appeared identical. Now I know what to look for at swap meets and online ads. I think the bike is worth preserving and tinkering it as near correct as possible over time will be a fun goal for me. I'm in no hurry and in the mean time want to simply ride it, enjoy it and perhaps learn a thing or two along the way.

Anyone have a correct fender for my '55 lying around? Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks very much to all.

Brian
              AMCA# 14373
              "I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles" -Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer.

Comment

The fender supports were an instant give-away. I seem to remember the fender had the 72 and later brake hose clip on the left side also.
                VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                X